Friday, October 31, 2008

So what's the sense ??

There are days when I get a little disappointed with Multiply.

Today is one of them.

When I first got here a year ago, the scuttlebutt was that shops are not allowed to exist on Multiply. See one? Report it.

Then over time, it seems that maybe the shops aren't so bad existing on Multiply (staff's opinion, not mine but not sure if anything official has been said about it) After all, they generate income for Multiply by having the google ad thing on their site.

But (and that's a big BUT) they aren't supposed to post in your guestbook if you're not contacts and they aren't supposed to send one an invite if it's not desired. Like maybe if you want a shop as a contact, you do the inviting.

This morning, I got an invite to be a business contact. Hmmmm red flags go up.  I had to go to the site to see what's what. It's some juice. I don't remember what kind, but easy enough to check out as I didn't decline the invite yet.

Anyhoo. What my understanding was that if you received an invite from a shop or business when it wasn't initiated or desired by you, you can report the person. 

So I did.

Now I'm a little muddled lately when it comes to Multiply's stance when it comes to shop sites and the spam that may be generated from those sites.

Do they get deleted? A stern warning? A slap on the wrist?

Who knows anymore because I sure don't.

I reported him/her for the unsolicited invite, also stating that this person hadn't even been to my home page so they must have found me posting in one of the groups.

I go out and do a charter. Do my regular afternoon run. Pick up my son and out we go. He wanted a dvd and I needed to put some groceries in this place. Grab dinner on the way through town.

I sign in to my account and I have a message from customer service.  I open it up and what do I see as the response ??

Hi,

I would suggest that you block this user. Just go to their home page and click on the "Block" link at the right side. Blocked users may still visit your home page, but they will not be able to see any of your posts.

Britney

Off I go trotting back to my inbox, click on the invite notice, go to that site to see if it still exists.

Yep, it does. And in the guestbook is someone that is not overly thrilled they got an invite either. I debated whether to follow up missthemed's comment with one of my own.
But what's the point. The person don't care.

Will this person re-send the invite if there is no response from me in a few weeks? Don't know.

I will do as Britney suggests and block this one and this will be the first one I've blocked that will stay blocked.

I guess time will tell though. Enough reports go in about unwanted invites and the person might take a long walk off a short pier anyways.


105 comments:

* * said...

yep ... been there, done that ... more than once ... sometimes the place is shut down, other times, this place takes it's spitphooey pills and turns a blind eye ... course you do realize that they don't like it one bit when i shoot back with the tos thing ...

no place is perfect, however i'd really appreciate it if these so-called social networking sites would make people abide by the rules and regulations regardless ...

depending on what kind of page i see when i receive these invites, i'll rip into the person big time and chuckle to myself as i'm reading the comments from others who didn't appreciate the invite ...

this gal reports and blocks these kind of morons and they stay blocked ... seldom do i take someone off my block list ...

in other words, i agree with you 200% ...

Patti ;-) said...

I really wish if Multiply is going to allow them to exist, to come right out and say so. Change the idiot TOS or something.
And make a stance on what the punishment will be (if there is punishment handed out).
Either they get deleted, a stiff warning, or a pat on the head.
What's the sense of reporting the unwanted invites or spam if Multiply isn't going to do diddley squat anyways ??
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

* * said...

wellllll the other day they did delete someone i reported ... course i wasn't the only one ... she posted in a help group about something and of course most of us paid her page a visit ... the moron ... she had a picture of herself as the background and all she was wearing was body paint ... it didn't take cs long to get back with me saying she'd been canned ...

i do know what you're saying though ... several people have complained in the various help groups to no avail ...

either enforce the freakin' tos or throw the damned thing out the window ...

Cal Jennings said...

Shops have existed on Multiply since it started. I started Multiply when I started 360. I was going to start one to sell videos and music. I never did, though.

Patti ;-) said...

I did as well, but a few days before numbnuts stated in that thread that he was reporting her lol.

The same CS lady of today said she would take a look at the site. Never did get back to me on that though.

There was one thread where she had been warned about her headshot and she had the nerve to post again a few days later, same headshot. So I got nosy lol

Patti ;-) said...

But the TOS says something different when it comes to shops though Cal.
And that is where a lot of the confusion is coming in when it comes to these shops.
If Multiply is going to allow them, they need to reword the TOS.

Dave   . said...

well this very thing has been talked about in the back rooms and alleys several times.
seems Multiply does have a problem , while their TOS says no they are allowing it to a degree, its hard for them to police them all since more come to Multiply just about daily. yes if the site makes itself a pain in the ass they can an sometimes are deleted - of course they come back by the next day,, that one reason they have in a way given up.
there is talk about them having an area for stores - problem is working a way for them to stay in it abnnot come out while allowing all the users to go there to shop.
then their is talk about charging them a fee to keep open - hopefully a fairly large one - no pay no stay.

i have had one invite from a store wanting me to be a business contact - yea right

they have tossed many stores out of here, mostly for spamming , recently it has been for advertising openly in some groups , esp theme groups

Patti ;-) said...

I do agree that they need to pay more than the $20 premium fee if they wish to exist as a shop on Multiply. If Multiply doesn't have the control over the payment transactions, it would be hard to know how much each shop is making from their site.

And yes, a separate area. Or even allow them their own category in the group section and they can open up their own group instead, where one can go search for them if interested, and restrict their personal pages to just personal info and not shop info maybe.

* * said...

how about $20 per day per member of the group? they stay in their OWN area and don't venture out [under penalty of having their heads chopped off] ... we can if we so desire visit them and if we're dumb enough send them an invite, however they are NOT permitted to do so to us ... they can ONLY invite other shops ...

their group will be and the end of the VERY short plank and the end of the equally as short pier ... that first step is a doozy ...

Dave   . said...

it wouldnt matter how much each store made, it would be a flat fee,, this has been suggested
and so has them having a seperate area somehow

one thing is that Multiply does not want to get involved with the stores an become a 3rd party -- if you buy something from one of the stores you are on your own if you get ripped off - they have the TOS to keep them out of any problems

like buying any thing online - its buyer beware - you have no recourse if you get burnt

* * said...

a flat fee of $20 per day for each day of their sorry existence ... at least i'm not running into as many here lately [knock on wood]

and change the blasted tos already ...

Dave   . said...

i think a fee of say $200. or more per year would run many off,, they are other sites actually telling business's to come here cause they can set up free sites

Patti ;-) said...

Oh, I do understand why Multiply doesn't want to get involved as a 3rd party. Definitely. More headaches than it's worth. So I don't blame them for wanting to protect themselves and covering up their butt on that one.

There are only two times I've ever been tempted to buy anything online. One was a bowling program that would help me with my secretarial duties of the three leagues I took care of. (only bowled in one, volunteer for the other two). Conversed with the gentleman that created the program via email. Even got his address, but I decided it wouldn't quite work out as the info would be on my laptop and not as easily accessed when someone needed the info right then and there.

The other was possibly going Premium here. Having no credit cards and not too sure about the paypal thing and debit cards, I inquired about mailing a payment to them. "Not at this time but maybe in the future". So, I never did go Premium.

Patti ;-) said...

Someone in the groups was suggesting $49.95 a year. My opinion was it should be higher than that though.

I had read that about other sites telling them to set up shop here because it's free.

BTW, did you see the thread where a link to a picture on Dave's site, where it showed an overhead projector shot about setting up shop on Multiply when they were at that conference a little while ago?

Dave   . said...

i had asked about being billed for it before i went premium, if there had been a way i would have been more inclined to pay for maybe 2 or 3 years in advance

one way of doing it is getting a credit card with a very low spending limit say $300., i think thats as low as they will go, and use it just for that purpose, once a year you are charged the twenty an you pay it off when the bill comes.


i didnt see it but i heard about it an it was all negative, i think that was a whoops

* * said...

at least $200 a year ... stay away from paypal ... i don't trust them at all ... not after they let someone hack a former contact's account and cleaned out the woman's bank account ... she ended up going to the attorney general's office of her state, her lawyer, the fbi as well as the banking commissioner ... talk about a company being in deep doggie doo-doo ... she got her money back then some, but still ...

i've shopped online many times, however i do so only with companies i've dealt with for a long time ...

Patti ;-) said...

Because of my ex, I can't get a credit card unless it's a secured credit card and I just don't have the extra money to do that just yet. (They wanted a $500 security deposit) So, I'll just have to wait for a while longer. I would really like to re-establish the half decent credit rating I had one upon a time before I met and married him. He threw us into the sewer, twice. grrrrrrrrrr

A very big whoops indeed but since the conference was in the Philipines .....

Dave   . said...

a lot of the stores here are from there,,, guess what ,,our laws an courts have no jurisdiction there,, so if you buy an get ripped oh well lesson learned

Patti ;-) said...

If I did decide to buy anything online, I would definitely stay within North America at least lol

Dave   . said...

that is if you could find anything there

Patti ;-) said...

Oh I wouldn't be going after handbags, or sweaters, or anything like that.
I'm picky about stuff like that.

Going premium, yes. Bowling software, yes.
Maybe airline tickets if I ever get a chance to fly somewhere.
But the day I can't go into a store and touch what I want or need to buy, is the day I stop wanting or needing anything.

Dave   . said...

i have done the airline ticket thing online, only cause i got a real good deal from the airline itself, not one of those sites who get you good rates or whatever.

Patti ;-) said...

Is what I would do as well. Directly from the airline.
Not sure I trust those discount places.

Dave   . said...

now there is a guy from Brasil in user support ,i think, wanting FREE premium status,, good grief

* * said...

FREE? two chances...slim and none...

Dave   . said...

votes for -- NONE

Patti ;-) said...

He does? I gotta go see lol

* * said...

i got side-tracked...i've GOT to see the posting...

free...yeah, right :)

Patti ;-) said...

He wants free premium because of all the users he brings to Multiply ??
Wow

* * said...

hahahahahahahahaha
roflmreo
what a hoot
holds sides i'm laughing so hard

Patti ;-) said...

Nervy li'l begger isn't he? lol

(goes off to either increase the font size in the replies or go find my cheaters)

* * said...

please increase the font size ... i've already adjusted the size on my end to large and am having problems ... my glasses don't help while using the computer ... i wasn't going to say anything as it's your page, but since you brought it up ...

Patti ;-) said...

Awwww sorry Mz Meow.
You should have said something. I wouldn't have minded or taken offense.
Heaven knows the font is BIG at SWC hahaha

* * said...

yeah, yeah, yeah
make the font that size
[giggles to self]

i've had so many people insult my page in the past that i'm reluctant to say anything to anyone

* * said...

i'm now using ''zoom in'' with firefox ... it's helped
oh for the eyesight of my youth

Patti ;-) said...

hmmm I don't see a change yet.
dangggggggggg
*goes back and fiddles some more*

* * said...

try 15 or 16 ...

Patti ;-) said...

Is it any better yet Mz Meow ?
Or maybe just a big bigger?
(I put the diff color fonts in to maybe help. Even gave davkal his own color too)

Patti ;-) said...

Think I need to make Dave's a little bit lighter blue.

Speaking of which, is he snoozing on the keyboard again ??

* * said...

mucho, mucho better ... this is much easier to read ...
like the color change as well
he's signed off for the evening

* * said...

course the fact that i keep hitting ''zoom in'' might have something to do with it as well

Patti ;-) said...

Ohhh didn't know he went.

I have it at 14px. Let me try 15 and see what happens.

Or maybe a different font would be more beneficial.
Maybe verdana.
hmmmm

* * said...

i guess i should now slap mierva ... i was agreeing with you in the ''prehistoric multiply'' thread ... instead of coming down on both of us, she zeroed in on me ...

the font and size are fine ... i like the different colors too ...

Patti ;-) said...

Wow.
14px and verdana.
And Dave's color is better.

How's it look for you Mz Meow ?

* * said...

perfection

* * said...

mantra...

stay out of group settings...stay out of group settings...stay out of group settings...etc., etc., etc.

* * said...

thank you for your support ...
i made one last comment and have left the thread

the refugees were worse? get real broad ... i need to take a pill before i blow up

Patti ;-) said...

Yeah, I don't remember the refugees being insulting like that myself.
And that guy wasn't the first one, but at least one other one apologized for what she said.

Some just whined about losing their blasts. And some did get demanding.
grrrrrrrrrrr

But I had heard from several people that the MSN users were more snobbish with A for attitude, so maybe that's the difference.

* * said...

who knows, i just didn't appreciate either mierva's or meg's comments
i know meg has made another one since i left the thread, however i know if i read it, i'll more than likely get even angrier

swallows pill

and the msn users do have a more snobbish attitude ... i was sick of them my first day back after the hard drive crash ... i couldn't believe what i was reading

* * said...

did you go to bed on me as well? :(

Patti ;-) said...

Sorry, I was posting a comment to Meg re her comment saying you didn't have leave and what she said about the refugees were worse than the MSN'rs.

I'll post it here for you to read so you don't have to go there lol

Patti ;-) said...

You got to understand Meg, that the refugees were pretty much in the same boat as the MSN users. We found out one day that we would be losing our 360 pages 'in the first quarter of 2008'. So yeah, word spread pretty quick about Multiply and we all seemed to come over at the same time last October.
I am sorry that Yahoo hadn't thought to give you forewarning like MSN did.
But wasn't our fault. We did find ourselves losing our home as well within a few short months. (The fact that it still exists to a point is yahoo being a little slow on putting action where their mouths once sat)
Some did gumble and whine a lot.
Some were willing to give this place a chance.
Some even embraced it the first day they got here (me being one of them)
And I do realize our mass exodus here made it tough on the staff and the members of Multiply because you didn't have any warning we were coming.
And maybe that is why it seemed a little worse then, than it does now.
At least you knew MSN was coming before they got here and you are more prepared for it. In your mind. In your experience. In setting up the group to help them once they got here.
We didn't have that. Which is understandable when you didn't know we were coming to begin with.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

what's going on in groups? what did i miss? *looks around*

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

hey! and why is my font tiny? :P

Patti ;-) said...

Ohhh I need to do you a special code too snow.
Got a preference for color ??

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

you don't have to do that. you can just make a general font size change.

anyway, i forgot what the original post was at first, but I wanted to say something.

it's not just stores. TOS has to be updated all around.

* * said...

agrees with you snow about the tos being updated

as to the groups ... usersupport in particular ... let's just say that i'm more than miffed at a few people and left a thread before i really went off ...

i've also popped a couple of pills ... one for a migraine i feel coming on and a xanax

i should be calming down here shortly ...

Patti ;-) said...

Snow?

The code is sitting in my CSS with /* ... */ around it. I just need to know if you have a preference of color. It would only take me a second to zip over and release it.

* * said...

something neon should do it

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

i sent a question to CS back in august, and this was my title:

Confused About a Usersupport Comment that Implicates CS Rep in Suggesting It Is Okay to Violate TOS

It got immediate attention, let me tell you! The gist was about a second site because under the Registration clause, the TOS states, "You may not register for more than one Member account..." It doesn't say anything about per email, etc. I even know of one person who shut down a test site because she didn't want to violate TOS. Well, this is the response I got:

If a user is creating multiple accounts using unique email addresses for spamming or causing some other TOS violation, then this is an issue and we will deal with it. If a person creates a few valid Multiply accounts (unique email addresses for each one) and doesn't violate any TOS or cause any grief, then it's something that might not be enforced unless that user is causing bigger problems.

Hope this helps,

(emphasis added) -- Doesn't he mean any OTHER TOS? If CS is going to be saying it's not a violation, then they have to remove that line.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

neon? LOL

i just think it's funny that you've seen my site and you're asking me what my favorite color is. :P

but i am sorry you're having a migraine. i'm not a member of usersupport, so I haven't seen the thread you're talking about.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

same with stores.

* * said...

how about if davkal, wolfie, myself and snow all get together and re-write the TOS and let us enforce the rules across the board ...

* * said...

i need to stay away from the help groups altogether ... so-called user support in particular ...

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

LOL

exactly what Multiply considers 'adult content' should be clarified too. they had one person remove her headshot because two people publicly called her out on MUDS. not even a pm to let her know they weren't comfortable with the image. then in the midst of the debate, they made another guy removed the image of michaelangelo's david from his site too. wasn't even a headshot.

Patti ;-) said...

refresh your page ladies
*wink*

* * said...

the meds are hitting fast fortunately so hopefully this won't develop into a full-blown migraine

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

good. i'd hate to see you have to run off because of the nausea.

Patti ;-) said...

I can see this page from across the room lol.
Might not be able to read it, but I can see it lol

* * said...

i agree with you 100% snow regarding the tos

it isn't the nausea that bothers me so much, it's the pain

love the font size and colors

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

i'm nearsighted, even with my glasses, so this is much better. but like mz. meow, i don't say anything unless it's brought up.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

it's the pain that causes the nausea.

i'z hates migraines.

Patti ;-) said...

I had meant to change the font size before, but got sidetracked (as usual lol)
Sorry ladies

* * said...

i'm also nearsighted and have found that i'm unable to use glasses and the computer at the same time ...

Patti ;-) said...

Ohhh I do too as well. If I don't get something into me within the first few minutes, I'm gone.

* * said...

fortunately, i seldom get nausea with migraines

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

gone for days.

* * said...

weeks, months, years, decades

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

well, i'm really curious now about what's going on at usersupport, so i'm going to have a look see. bet i can find the post on my own. ;)

Patti ;-) said...

If I let it go a few minutes too long, it gets into my eyes and I know nausea isn't too far behind.
I actually dive under the covers to cut out all light to try and sleep it off but I'm groggy for the next day or two from it, even if the pain did go away

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

awww ... i hear ya.

* * said...

http://muds.multiply.com/notes/item/843?mark_read=muds:notes:843&replies_read=20

snow...there's the link

* * said...

sorry, it's muds not user support

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

i was just gonna say ... i got this one in my inbox (still unread), so I was confused by the link.

no wonder i couldn't find it at usersupport. lol

of course the msn users don't know the difference yet between muds and usersupport.

* * said...

i've been in so many help groups today i lost track of what was said where

* * said...

ladies, these meds are putting me to sleep rapidly ...

signing off until much later

night

Patti ;-) said...

Awww good night Mz Meow.
Hope you feel better tomorrow

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

yes. feel better.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

wow ... i finally had a chance to read through the comments. yahoos have proven to be long term whiners. really. hmmm ... yes, mz. meow, i agree. good to know where you stand.

but mz. meow, please don't be so hard on meirav. even though it felt like it, i'm most sure she wasn't zeroing in on you personally on purpose. she just picked the easiest line to quote for her general response. i know her well. she tries to see the good in everyone, even creepy multiply staff stalkers. she's trying to do damage control for msners who might be upset by some of the responses, and you had a great line to quote and counter.

but i have to admit, i'm with the people who got on that guy's case. his post was very rude and insulting and demanding. not even a "can someone help me to understand this" sort of thing.

btw don't worry about meirav being a friend of mine. anything said here stays here, so please continue to feel free to vent, even to tell me off for anything i might say here. i always prefer the direct approach. so does she. i can almost 100% guarantee she would be most gracious if you were to send her a pm to let her know how you feel about how she quoted you. being a friend, i just wanted to defend her honor. what kind of friend would i be if i didn't?

Patti ;-) said...

Oh no worries about you and meirav Snow.
Her and I have had a couple good chats in PM. Usually about something posted in one of the groups.
And she does try to see the good in everyone.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

just don't want her to get slapped too hard is all. ;) especially with claws.

Patti ;-) said...

I wouldn't do that to meirav myself.
Now some of the others I might lol

Dave   . said...

well i must admit i did see a lot of whining come from ex360 people, they were wanting stupid stuff, like a blast, that they had in 360 - gee they didnt know they could have one here with a little work.
but MSN users want us to change to their way - nope aint going to do it - the message board way of doing things is ancient , MSN hasnt changed things in years as far as their groups, they are so far behind the times it isnt funny.
if they dont like it here they can go elsewhere no one is making them stay here.

they will just have to adjust to the way things are here, 100% better than what they had.

those of us from 360 who have stayed here adjusted, some better than others of course.

i have rapidly gotten tired of the b******* from some of them from MSN,, they should stay at MSN, maybe it will be like 360 an continue hanging on an wasting away until one day maybe someone finally finds the plug an pulls it

* * said...

agrees with davkal and sends him hugs

i was sick of the msners right after i read one of their rants and raves when i returned from the hard drive crash

i'm not going to apologize to anyone for saying what i did in the group, nor will explain it to them further

adjust or move the heck on

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

It's not even really that much work at all - no different than adding a blast to 360. i loved the blast and used it all the time, but I didn't think about it much here. the funny thing is we've had a place to put the blast all along -- right in the title area of the welcome box - a spot I've never used. i'm testing it out now in case anyone really wants one that badly. it's really no more work to click "customize my site" then "edit" in the welcome area then type some words in the title area than it was to add a blast in yahoo. if someone can do html, even better because then you can add a speech bubble. if someone doesn't know html but really wants the speech bubble, a premade code can easily be made that just needs the text to change. yet another workaround.

i didn't come til january, so i'm sure i missed a lot of the whining that took place the three months before i got here and things were squared away, but the blast and the theme generator seem to be the only things I've seen people from y360 whine about. even with the whining, i don't remember anyone being so insulting to multiply when they asked for it. then again, i could have missed that too. as for the msners, there is no need to apologize for straightening out someone who is being rude. if they can't adjust, that's their problem. i don't know msn groups, but i can already tell they're getting so much more than they had before, even just by getting a personal site to go with their groups. i don't think they had a place of their own there.

Dave   . said...

lol you got it,, the title area can be used for one, an that was mentioned more than once for a place to use as a blast, not sure how many paid attention or listened

i dont think they had a personal place like we do here, i think i remember right they had something like a profile but its been so many years since i was in MSN groups i dont remember what they did or did not have, or what they could do with it as far as customising it

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

so why did so many people keep complaining long after I came? did they miss the automatic speech bubble or something?

Dave   . said...

i think some just wanted to complain about something

reckon there are those who arent happy unless they have something to complain about

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

that being true - so true - then from what i've seen so far with the influx of people coming in, it looks like things are going to get worse before they get better.

Dave   . said...

it might
i think there may be many more coming from MSN than there were from Yahoo

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

This all got me thinking about that stupid Blast again. I only miss it when I'm thinking about it. LOL I was wondering how many others might too, so I just put up a note at Refugees to see how many people would still like a blast on their site. Stupid I'm sure, but I was curious.

Dave   . said...

oh i am sure you will get some responses, there probably are some waiting to get one

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

I didn't think of inbox updates though. now i'm trying to think of how to work around that without using the stinking reviews section. LOL oops. i can't be perfect all the time. :P

* * said...

trust me dave, there are many people who still want the blast ... i'm content without it ...

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

yep. it seems the reason some people didn't makes their own blasts is because they indeed want the speech bubble. it's amazing what a background image can do to make people so happy. LOL