Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Heyyyyyyyyyy

I was re-reading a particular blog here yesterday, and had even posted a couple comments in that thread, really debating whether this group should be deep-sixed.

I was having trouble figuring out how to open it up a bit but still having some semblance of control in here and not have it become chaotic like some other groups do.

So yeah, I was feeling (and still am to a point) that this group has no function .. no purpose ... and was even doubting whether it would even fly past its present look/feel/membership and only taking up space in our groups page.

But after having done some things on the spur-of-the-moment and regret it later, I closed the tab here and figured it would be best if I waited a bit longer.

WELL !! Lo and behold, Multiply has added some new features to the groups.
http://multiply.multiply.com/journal/item/264/Administrative_Assistance_Assistants

1. New members can be approved first. So I enabled that. Not saying my contacts can't invite someone and if you can vouch for them, then I will approve them.
2. First posts can be moderated, or all. So, for now, I have the setting at first post. Just in case someone slips through the cracks and gets in.
3. Now there are Admin Assistants. It isn't like Yahoo Groups where I can pick and choose what each Assistant's duties will be. The staff blog says you can't add or remove admins or assistants, you can't delete the group, and you can't edit the group's settings. What exactly an assistant can do, I have no idea, unless I add my test page ID and make try it out.

Now, the question is ... Do we stay private with these new features in place, or do we open it up and have it show in the Group Directory?

I was also wondering if there can be a bit of creativity found here as well.
And by that, I mean ... I know two members here belong to creative writing challenge groups. Would this be an idea for those interested? To have our own found here and have a new challenge maybe just once a week on a rotational basis so it doesn't stress out the members that belong to others? Would be the same idea in that you put the challenge on your page and only put the link to it here.

Even if to just help the group get up and running, do you have any other ideas?

That blog/thread that I visited yesterday last saw a comment just over two months ago. Not much activity here since. I know, people get busy. Their own pages, their own interests, health issues, computer issues, etc. Which I totally understand. And I'm just as bad.

How to get things going here? hmmmmmm

7 comments:

Cal Jennings said...

Are you going to creat a blog for the writing challenge links, or where do you want them?

Patti ;-) said...

Do you like the idea Cal of doing something along those lines?

While I don't want to copy something unique to somewhere else, I was thinking that a blog for each challenge be made and the members links that do the challenge can be posted in the replies ??

Cal Jennings said...

It sounds good to me. It's your group. Don't worry about the other groups.

Patti ;-) said...

Any ideas you have you might like to see here Cal ?

Cal Jennings said...

Well, you could have the challenges be stories, poems, pictures, music, or a combination as the person chooses. Perhaps offer a topic and let them choose how they want to do it? Perhaps some discussion or stories about different locations to where they've travelled and the things they've seen and experienced? What do you think?

Patti ;-) said...

So, instead of it being a 'writing' challenge ......... yeah, that could work.
Music ?? (runs and hides lol)
ohhhhh with pictures, were you maybe thinking of posting a picture and have them come up with a story line for it ?? hmmmm
What shall we call this challenge idea? SWC Challenge? Anything goes challenge? lol
Well, we have one idea in the works :D Good idea Cal.

Any other ideas ? *wink wink* *gets on knees and begs pleeeaaassseeee* haha

Cal Jennings said...

Hmmm... THAT'S what I like to hear. LOL