When I leave here around 6:30 or so in the mornings to head off to do my first school bus run of the day, I might either go do the circle check on the bus first then head to the local coffee shop to grab my coffee, or the other way around. Depends on how cold it is outside and needing to give the bus a chance to warm up.
This coffee shop down the road in the little town I live in, that has a drive through window, which I tend to go through instead of parking my van and going in. But that depends on how busy the drive through lane is too. If everybody had the same idea at the same time and it's really busy, then I will go in, providing the other half of the country isn't inside the store lol. People will verge to that drive thru lane from two different entrances, so it takes a bit of courtesy and co-operation for all to get through without a hitch.
A little while ago, I had pulled into the coffee shop, made my way around the building with intentions of possibly going through the drive-thru window. A few cars there, but not so bad, but busy enough that a couple cars were on the street trying to make a left into the driveway.
One thing that I don't like seeing is people that ignore who is already sitting there, being intent on getting their coffee and heading down the road to their destination as soon as they can. And that is what was happening that morning. I saw a couple cars come north to make the right into the driveway, leaving the poor car and it's driver still trying to make the left.
I sat and watched a bit. Curiosity was winning and I wanted to see how long it would take for this person to make their way into the drive thru lane or would he/she give up and head off without their coffee.
The driver finally got into the driveway and moved along behind the others in front.
Then it came to whether he/she should go ahead of me or I go ahead of him/her.
Having watched the difficulty this driver was experiencing before, I motioned for him/her to go ahead of me and I slipped in behind. (turns out it was a him)
The guy places his order and moves up, and I place my coffee and muffin order next.
He moves up when he could and pays for his order.
I hit the window and the lady inside gave me the amount of what I owed. I must have put a puzzled look on my face as the lady said "the gentleman in front of you bought your coffee".
Wow. I didn't know who he was or anything, so I asked the lady to thank him very much for me the next time she saw him.
I thought, what a great thing he did when he didn't have to.
A few days later, I was in a bit of a rush, not having enough sense to get out the door a little sooner that day, when I hit the drive thru lane. Busy, but not overly busy but inside the shop was even worse, so I stayed outside.
The courtesy and co-operation thing was going along smoothly enough, so no big worries.
A lady in vehicle (suv maybe?) coming from the other entrance motioned for me to go ahead of her, which I was grateful for, being a bit rushed that morning. So remembering the generosity of the man from the other day, I paid it forward and bought that lady her the two coffees she had ordered.
Now to today. A couple weeks have gone by. Nobody had bought me a coffee, and the way things worked, I didn't buy anybody theirs.
I get back from doing my first run of the day, when I decide to take coffee home with me. I pulled in behind the the last vehicle in line. Get to the speaker box and ordered two coffees and a hot chocolate for my son. Work my way up to the window and had a five dollar bill in my hand ready to pay for my order.
The lady working the drive-thru window then says "The lady in front of you just bought your coffees"
Again, I must have had that puzzled look on my face. I was thinking "why?"
The lady says (I see her all the time and forgot her name) "Did you let her in or something?"
I said "No. I just pulled in behind her."
So then the speculation came about that maybe I knew her and was told her name. The name didn't ring any bells with me at all. But then I thought, maybe she is one of my kids' mom and she recognized me, even with me not sitting in the big yellow monster. I don't know. I don't recall seeing that last name on any of the mailboxes at all.
So I asked the lady working the window if she would please thank her very much the next she sees her. (unless I figure out who she is exactly, then I will definitely thank her myself)
When the first genteman did this for me, I thought "wow, chivalry and courtesy is not dead yet." But I sure wasn't expecting what happened this morning at all. To me, there was no reason for her to do that. Except out of the kindness of her heart. And even if it does turn out I do know her somehow, sort of, she still didn't have to do that.
But I do thank her, very much.
Will I pay it forward? Of course.
17 comments:
Dummy me. Wondered why nobody came this way. Go check and sure enough, I posted it just for myself.
Duhhhhhhhh
Well. You get the update to go along with the mystery now lol
I picked up my elementary kids from school and headed out to drop them off at home.
I'm still wondering about this really nice lady and what she did this morning.
Still curious if she is one of the 'moms'.
I'm not going to come right out and ask the kids what mom's last name is.
The best I could hope for is that there will be a name on a mailbox that I never noticed before.
Jacob is the first to get dropped off. He's in grade 2 but not always met at the end of the driveway. The rule of thumb with him is if the van or the red truck is in the driveway, someone is home and is ok to just drop him off without being met.
I'm pulling up to the end of his driveway and mom's is standing beside a van.
Quick peek at the mailbox and my mystery is solved real quick.
The lady this morning was his mom !
I thank her very much for the coffees this morning and she says "I owed you one"
What??
The other day, when I went to drop of Jacob, there was no van or truck in the driveway and the place looked deserted, so I kept him on the bus, dropped off kids at the next 2 stops, turned around and came back by his place. By then, mom was home. And she was grateful that I had kept him on the bus for his safety rather than just dropped him like usual.
Awww but Mom. You didn't have to buy me coffee because I did that.
Jacob recognized me in the van behind, pointed me out to mom, and was her way of thanking me for caring about Jacob.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww
awwwwwwwwww ...
i wondered what was going on when i saw how long ago this blog was typed ... you took your mz. meowzer pills ... it's right up there with: why aren't i smelling dinner? ... hey dum, dum, turn the heat on ... why aren't i smelling any coffee? duh, you forgot to turn on the pot ... why is the coffee water clear? duh, you forgot to add the coffee twitbrain ... it's midnight, why is there so much light in my bedroom? because you idiot, you forgot to turn out the overhead light! ... yep, you and are twins separated at birth ... just wish i would have ended up in canada as well ... :)
kindness begets kindness ... nothing like a coffee hug ...
We must be twins separated at birth !! lol
Yep, I do stuff like that too. I didn't realize it, but sometimes I would get sidetracked.
One thing I seem to be bad for is I get up from here to go visit the ladies room and end up standing in my kitchen doing dishes, wondering why I still needed to pee. hahaha (and I hate doing dishes but somebody's gotta .. nobody is willing to fire the maid lol)
The one thing I forgot in my tale, when the van in front of me was pulling out of the driveway and made a left, I had a chance to see a glimpse of this woman and I didn't recognize her. Later on when I found out who it was, it was her wearing glasses that I had never seen her wear before, other than this morning.
Yep, I do admit there is nothing like a coffee hug, especially unexpected ones.
doing dishes and needing to pee ... roflmreo at that one ... hahahahahahaha
guess you're going to have to fire the maid just so you can make it to the ladies room in time
i haven't had a coffee hug in years ...
What's really pathetic also, is that I'm bad for having to pee when I hear running water. So having to go to begin with and then running water to do dishes really makes one dance hahahaha
Awwwwwwwwww
hmmmm
thats one thing thats nice about living in a small town
This coffee shop in town is open 24/7. A lot of people in the surrounding areas go through.
And this town is bad for being in the way. By that, I mean because of where Georgian Bay/Lake Huron lies. You have to pretty much go through this town to get to the ski hills (winter tourist traffic), and the beaches and cottages (summer tourist traffic). The town just up the road does the largest Elvis festival every year and people all over the world come to it (more tourist traffic)
For a population of only 3,100, this is one real busy town when it comes to traffic passing through. And because the powers that be put bricks and mortar everywhere they could, there's not much in the way of parking spaces, so the tourist traffic going through can't always stop and shop. Go figure lol
yea some small towns do that when they get a lot of thru traffic,, kinda dumb but sometimes its good for some business's but not all
A new restaurant opened up down the street (the other crashed and burned when the province went no-smoking) and so far it's doing a booming business. I haven't been in there yet, but the decor looks great from the outside. I hope it stays.
Otherwise, the stores that do manage to stay open have only one or two employees only. The antique store in town finally closed up shop after being there for a few years. She had trouble staying afloat, what with paying rent on the store front and she couldn't pay herself. A few store fronts remain empty. The parking really sucks big time here. The ones that manage to get a store front with a couple or so parking spots in front do better.
But the town council decided they needed to rebuild their administration building and spent almost 2 mil on the idiot thing, with about 20 parking spaces ..... for employees only !!! Go figure.
the stores should get together an build a small mall like place just outside of town, an i mean all of them,,,lol
Yeah. The stores and a few residents need to do something to kick town council in their collective backside. I had to go into their new building not too long ago, for the first and I hope only time, and I was disgusted. They spent 2 mil on a building with a lot of wasted space. One-third height wall cubicles, a couple of actual offices and the ceilings were 30 feet high or more, with open framing (forgot what it's called). Brand new desks, wall-to-wall carpeting, a full width counter (30 feet?) done in a real nice mahogany, etc etc.
But to help their budget, they raised taxes and water/sewer fees along with a couple other things and then ditched a couple services.
I was not amused.
grrrrrrrrrrr
lol sounds normal for small towns with big ambitions or corrupt folks running it
or both
I would have said both as well.
Especially those in power on the council
this is really sweet. it's amazing what a simple act of kindness can do. now if only we could be so nice to the people we live with. ;)
Agrees with that Snow. Very.
Post a Comment