Thursday, October 30, 2008

My mini rant of the moment

Doesn't anybody read the previous replies in those idiot help groups ??

I was just reading one thread over at User Support and 4 people said the same asinine thing !!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
(well, not exactly asinine but does the poster really need to hear the same thing from 3 others too??? Not word for word but a case of 'you say tomato and I say tomahto' sort of thing)

And the day isn't over yet. There are a couple regulars that haven't checked in yet, so I would be surprised if the answer isn't given another once or twice by the end of the day.

I realize that people want to 'give back' and help the next newbie, which is great. But 4 times in the same thread ?? And I see that type of thing a lot in the help groups.

If someone was to check the viewing history, they would see I visit a lot, but don't say anything in many of them. What for? The correct help was provided and I didn't see a need to say the same again.

I'm not desperate enough to want my 15 minutes of fame by repeating the same thing someone else already said. And yes, it's mostly the same people over and over and over that is doing it. Not reading the previous replies. What are we going for? Recognition of being the most helpful on Multiply in Peter's eyes?

And yes, it bugs me.

I guess because I saw that alot in the Yahoo! Answers forum (the original one before they tweaked it) It was nothing to see many users in there provide the same answer. Drove me batty in there as well.

And I know some threads in the help groups here must confuse the newbies. I've been here a year and I get confused at times.
"I say tomahto, but let me give you an orange to help you with your next question before you even ask it" And the poor person is still trying to grasp 'tomahto'  and you're throwing oranges at them???

And I wonder why I have a hard time grasping at some things myself when I'm in there reading the replies.

Read the previous replies people! If the person is headed in the wrong direction, then speak up. But if they're on the right track, then let the person help them understand. If the poster is still not quite understanding, then provide the answer in such a way that they might understand. The 'tomato - tomahto' thing. But only then. If the poster is confused on the first reply, you saying the same thing for the 3rd and 4th times ain't gonna help them any.

I almost said something in that thread I was perusing, but I thought better of it and came here instead. Just had to get it off my chest somewhere.

Thanks for letting me rant.

93 comments:

Patti ;-) said...

Once upon a time, I had a couple contacts and went to do a rant of this nature and this subject.
But that old fear that I might offend somebody had me delete it.
Well? They're not contacts anymore (I ditched them)
And yes, they're up there in that rant too lol.

* * said...

i do hope you had sense enough to block them once you deleted them.

i just told a person in user support to delete her first two posts...they were nothing more than ''help me'' things and were posted within about 60 seconds...then she posted yet a third time...at least the third time she said what the problem was...i'm sick of spoon-feeding people...

rant away...get on your soapbox anytime you feel like it...

leaves to pur herself a hot cup of tea [no coffee today...bleh]

mary alice gerken said...

Guess I have lost out of this type of communications. Thank goodness or I would be deleting like crazy. For me if someone wants my help they can email me on my regular email place.

Patti ;-) said...

I didn't block them as I pick their brains from time to time.
Not too often mind you. Usually just when I can't find what I'm looking for

Patti ;-) said...

I don't mind going into the help groups and helping at all Impy.
I just don't see the need to say the same thing as the previous 2 or 3 or 4 or so people that did.

* * said...

thick or empty-headed people at that

Patti ;-) said...

Just boggles my mind Mz Meow
lol

* * said...

ditto
and as my mind is located in the brain area which is located inside a hurting skull....
just not in the mood for morons today

Patti ;-) said...

Yep. Me neither either
lol

* * said...

will be back later
gonna take a hot shower...maybe that'll warm me up...i doubt it, but it might help a little

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

oooOOOhhh. so this is what "for Pete's sake" really means.

if i ever repeat, i hope it's only for the sake of clarification (some may call it arguing, but i'm just going to ignore that;). or if i expand on something someone else said, i try to acknowledge that. if i ever do what you have described, you have my permission now to publicly humiliate me, and i will go in my corner with my tail firmly tucked.

Patti ;-) said...

You're not one of them Snow. You seem to come along when the poster is still confused and you seem to have a way of rewording things to help make them more understandable. When the 'tomato-tomahto' reply is really needed.

It's the chronic 'repeat whats already been said without reading previous replies' types I was referring to.

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

Yeah, I think I kinda said that already. ;)

j/k i totally understand. it's one of my many peeves in the helps sites. i don't even bother with usersupport, but MD is so worth the aggravation to me that I try to let a lot of things go. then again, i'm the one who made a whole tutorial in MD to vent off my biggest pet peeve, people who don't bother to see if the information might already be there, as if they're the first ones to ever have a problem. the funniest part about that is that i asked the admins if i should post it, knowing full well the tone behind it, let them see it first, and they gave me stuff to add! LOL

* * said...

and then there are those who steal threads...that's taking place right now in usersupport ... i'm amazed someone hasn't said something ... however, i'm going to bite my tongue and stay out of trouble ... off-topic i know, but...

snowburst...it would also help if people would title what they are posting about with a word other than ''HELP!''

i see the three of us are on the same page today

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

LOL that's part of my tutorial too. how to title posts is plastered all over the site, yet people do it anyway. if people would just take a moment read before writing, whether those who need help or those offering help, it would make life on the help sites so much easier.

from the helpers, one of the things i find interesting is when a post has been answered and hasn't been touched in several days, and someone will come along and answer it again as if it's a new thread and no one has replied yet. i don't get it.

so yes, we're all most definitely on the same page.

* * said...

i hear you...loud and clear

Patti ;-) said...

I like being on the same page with you two.
And I sooooooo agree with what the two of you are saying :-)

* * said...

which just proves that all three of us have at least two working brain cells

Patti ;-) said...

hahahahaha

Sometimes I swear that with the 3 of us in one help group thread, the number of working brain cells in there would still only amount to 3 ! lol

* * said...

roflmreo!

you're probably right...

right now my brain cells are in the process of attempting to form a: rant, rave, i'm on a soapbox blog... something similar to what you've posted here...only meaner

now if only i could stop falling asleep in front of the screen...

Patti ;-) said...

Awwwwww Maybe you do need to a cat nap Mz Meow.
Listen to what your body tells you.

I can hardly wait to read your soapbox blog :D

* * said...

cat nap? try a people 10 hour sleep thing...

signing out for a while...i need to get warm and sleep, sleep, sleep...

meow

Patti ;-) said...

Sleep well Mz Meow and hope it does the trick for you

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

sorry i couldn't help in the brain cell department. i lost my mind at work once and haven't been able to find it since.

Patti ;-) said...

lol Snow
You're one of the good ones, so no worries

* * said...

i rested...don't know how much good it did, but i rested...still very, very tired

i've joined a new club ... ''the banned from a group club''
roflmreo

Patti ;-) said...

Dangggg I'm doing something wrong then. Haven't been banned from any group that I know of.
But then again, I accidentally visited one while signed in.
Wonder if I was seen ?
lol

* * said...

depends on the frame of mind of the admin at any given time

Dave   . said...

i dont really like giving someone a simple correct answer then have someone come in an try to verify what i have told the one seeking help by saying the same thing but in a different way

i hate the HELP post, i generally pass them up
i hate when someone ask a simple question that has a simple answer an they get told to do a search for the answer

an i really hate smarta** answers to questions

havent been banned but have been corrected an/or scolded once or twice

have stuck my neck out a couple of times over things - no ax yet but its hanging around somewhere waiting, an it better be dang sharp if its gonna get me

Patti ;-) said...

Does this mean there are 4 active brain cells in this thread now Dave ??
Coooooooooool

I've only ever been asked to remove a comment once, but not by an admin.
But I've had comments deleted. lol
I try to be nice and offer constructive criticism but sometimes the frustration level was too much and I had to let it out.

Have you read the thread in MUDS by meirav yet Dave ?

Dave   . said...

in MUDS i am not sure i may have,, i got enough sence to watch what i say in there,,lol
oh i get frustrated by some people, then i just try hard to ignore them

you mean i got a brain cell ==whhooppee

* * said...

agree 100% with ya...

Patti ;-) said...

Meirav posted it this morning and while it only has 41 comments at the moment, it's been interesting.
I don't always disagree with admins, but I did today lol

I have to bite my tongue when a certain person posts in the threads anywhere nowadays. Sometimes I make it bleed, sometimes it has a mind of its own lol

But yeah, I would say you have a brain cell Dave. You think like the other 3 brain cells in here lol

* * said...

dave...each person in this thread has at least one brain cell

MUDS...cringes for the same reason

guess who is making sure she's getting another dose of her ''15 minutes of fame...'' the same person who banned me

Patti ;-) said...

I was re-reading the thread and when I said we would have 3 working brain cells in a thread sometimes? Well, you knew what I meant right??
I really need to wear my specs more often when the lighting gets bad in here during the day.

Patti ;-) said...

Yes, and she's misquoting something she read in another group?
I very rarely go into that particular group, but the next response from M says she did.

* * said...

she's constantly misquoting...

i knew what you meant...specs don't do me any good when it comes to the computer...i need one of those thingees that you can put over the ENTIRE screen to enlarge it...just enlarged the print [from the toolbar]...i can see and read mucho better now...

i've been following the thread in the muddy group but am staying out of it...i do want to make a smartarse remark to mandie though along the lines of: to get rid of the evidence my dear?

snarl, hiss, spit...claws come out
the urge to use her as a scratching post is strong

hehehe

Dave   . said...

okay i am off to bed

but you all got me curious so i had to check,, i aint getting involved in that one, its not worth it.

* * said...

night dave...i need to tuck myself in again shortly as well

yep...some threads just aren't worth the effort

Patti ;-) said...

Night Dave. Sleep well.

I'll be happy when you're feeling better Mz Meow.
lol @ the scratching post comment.

I had to go do a quick check to see if something came in while I was fiddling around in my media locker.
Yep. I should have known. I really hope she isn't attributing me to something M said ??
Wouldn't surprise me. She don't like me either. Can't understand why though.

I didn't get involved at first, but I wanted to lend M and snow some support.

* * said...

if mandie wasn't involved, i ''might'' have gotten involved...i just don't feel like dealing with that spoile snotty-nosed brat

i'll be glad when i'm feeling better as well...sick of being sick

Patti ;-) said...

Awww you should read her latest Mz Meow.
She's suggesting that M, Missy, and myself ask to be ass't admin of User Support !!
(I guess because M and I had been commenting in there haha)

* * said...

i read that one...

she has her main page, a test page, at least two groups she started, and she's asked to be an admin or at least an assist. admin of [the last i read] five more! dear God, don't let her become one in the help groups ... i don't think that's likely to happen, however ...

i like mierva's comment...''she didn't know about the others, but she wasn't looking for any more responsibilities...'' amen to that

Patti ;-) said...

Not if a certain admin has anything to say about it she won't.

Besides, if the present admins feel they need some extra help in the groups, they know who to go to to ask. If the person says thanks, but no thanks, they try another.

Asking doesn't mean we would get the positon either.

* * said...

GAHHHHHHHHHH! have you read her latest comments? she just doesn't freakin get it...she's getting worse by the second...

where are those baseball bats?

Patti ;-) said...

At least she's off the 'I want to delete my posts' rant at the moment lol.
She got sidetracked lol

* * said...

i have a feeling she suffers from ADD and COD

Patti ;-) said...

COD ?

* * said...

i mean OCD...
i suffer from hitting the wrong keys

Patti ;-) said...

ohhhhh lol
I wondered if that is what you meant, but bitten once too often by assuming stuff so now I ask.
She might.

* * said...

either way, it's the same thing...obsessive compulsive or compulsive obsessive....i think i suffer from both myself

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

well, now y'all have got me curious. i have to go check that thread again and maybe lend meirav some support.

btw, going back to one of Dave's earlier comments, i'm one of those people who will tell someone to search even if it's a simple answer, ESPECIALLY if it's a simple answer that's been answered recently or more than once. i get really annoyed when people don't take the time to just read. i read all over MD for months, soaking it all in, before finally posting my first question. so sorry to add to your dismay, Dave, but I ain't gonna change my ways, nosirree.

I hope you are feeling better today, cat, and that the rest you got yesterday did you some good. :)

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

looks like you guys did fine without me. :)

Patti ;-) said...

Can always use an extra voice there Snow lol

I did a lot of reading at MD when I first joined as well. When I was sure the subject hadn't come up before, then I asked my only two questions there.
Some are just too impatient to read up on the rules and reg's first or don't care.

Patti ;-) said...

There's a thread in User Support where a user mentioned being ignored (doing the tomato thing) while others did the tomahto thing lol. Go ulla ! lol

* * said...

i just finished reading her comment...the same thing has happened to several of us...

* * said...

this very thing is happening in multiply design ... sheez! the guy has already stated that he has what he was asking for, for his group yet along comes an admin with the code and another admin(?) telling him to add a google widget to his page ...

DOESN'T ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FREAKIN' READ ANYMORE?!

and yes, i meant to yell ...

Dave   . said...

Snow i actually wasnt referring to you,, its some of those that do it with an attitude that isnt needed,, its got to a point i rarely tell anyone to search cause they seldom will
the MSN bunch , well they didnt have a search feature so they dont know how to use it that good

as far as the young lady you all are taking about - well she has at least 3 diff id's , several groups , i think at least one private, an she has been tossed from at least one help group - i doubt she would be asked to be a assist admin or any other kind in any help group

* * said...

i knew about two of her ids and was aware that there is at least one more out there ... i also know she has several groups ... didn't know that at least one of them was private ... i do know she's banned me from one of her precious groups ... no skin off my nose as the saying goes ...

i think it's funny about her being tossed from at least one help group ... she needs to be tossed from all of them ... course you do realize that she's putting her two cents worth in, in at least one of the msn groups ...

she's a smartarse know-it-all on a power trip ... i'm just waiting for her to pull the wrong stunt at the right time and lose everything ...

Dave   . said...

lol,, i also know her mis - typing/spelling is on purpose - its an attention getter

* * said...

i know that as well as i've seen her use correct spelling and grammer on more than one occasion ...

snotty-nosed brat ... and to think i was doing my best to help her ... oh well ... she'll get hers in the end ...

Patti ;-) said...

Did you hear?? I got banned from the same group Mz Meow did lol
And I have never been a member or ever visited there !!!!
Until yesterday that is, not signed in, when I was going to give her a piece of my mind by something she was saying and I decided against it.
Let her yap away out her ummmm ears on the subject.
People know better.

* * said...

i'd love to see how long that ''banned'' listing is ... :)
yep, nothing like visiting that group while signed out ... :)

i'm sick of her ...

i discovered something earlier about her main page userid [notfallingapart] it's the title of a song ... as far as i'm concerned, she's come apart at the seams ...

she can blow it out her nose ...

Patti ;-) said...

Probably includes a few others that has ummmmm disagreed with her and ticked her off. lol
I do think it's pathetic to ban someone from a group that had never been a member or ever visited.

I didn't make the connection with her ID either until yesterday.

* * said...

i'm amazed she hasn't deleted one album that she dedicated to me ... you'll find it by clicking on the ''donna'' tag ...

she's one paranoid person on a power trip ...

Dave   . said...

can you say over 800 blocked users
an now banning people from her groups who arent even members

* * said...

over 800!! how the hades did you find out that information? i remember reading one of her comments way back when i was still hanzrobin that she had something like 1000 people blocked from her main page! ... i have over a 100 but durn! ...

wonder if she's banned anyone from staff or an admin ...

in more than one of the photo albums, there are pictures that should never have been posted ... one has the copyright removed [i recognized the artist's work] and called her out on it ... never did get a reply ... then in another album i came across last night there's a picture of a guy lying on hay with his ''manhood'' barely covered by hay/straw ... and she throws a fit about the porn sites! ...

over 800 blocked users ... sheez

Patti ;-) said...

Yeah, how did you find that out Dave?
800 down and 9,999,200 to go ??? hahaha

I have that same picture, but instead of hay it has a picture of a kitten. But it's not something I would ever post on Multiply !! I'm liable to embarrass myself, never mind anybody else haha

It's possible if she didn't like what they told her in one of her many PMs to them.

Dave   . said...

lol,,i have my ways of finding out stuff

i am probably one of those blocked, but i dont care, heck no telling how many have me blocked, no telling how many have contacted CS on me, i dont care about things like that, doesnt bother me one bit if someone blocks me

i have one person blocked an he wouldnt have gotten blocked if he hadnt visited my page after we got into it a little a couple of months back,, i have this thing, i know how to just ignore people so thats what i do when i need to.

* * said...

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down and BAN it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall ... just had too post that...devil made me do it :)

dave, you seem to have this ability to find out the neatest things

just for the heck of it, try to enter comment graphics ... it would be hoot to find out if you're also among the chosen ones :)

i ignore first and if that doesn't work or their page makes me cringe when i check it out, i block with apology ...

Dave   . said...

what is comment graphics ?
a group or something,
give me a clickable link

* * said...

comment graphics is mandie's group for many of the things i've been using lately ... all kinds of stuff ... rivals many a web site listed on the internet

http://commentgraphics.multiply.com/

Dave   . said...

i got in an looked around a little may even go back later on, seems most if not all of it is public

* * said...

i think all of it is public ...

easiest way to get around now [she's changed the layout since i was a member] is to click on ''show all tags'' there must be a million of them ...

and if she bans you, just go check it out while you aren't signed in ... hehehehehe

Dave   . said...

looked like she may have had some copyrighted stuff in there,, need to look at some of it closer to make sure,, i wouldnt turn her in but i sure wouldnt want it up on my page

* * said...

there is copyrighted stuff there ... like i said, i called her out on one particular item i saw ... i was hot ...

Patti ;-) said...

what was it Mz Meow ?

Dave   . said...

probably some of the graphics,, i would bet the goth/vamp type ones,, didnt look around that much

Patti ;-) said...

Obviously,some don't read the site first before snagging pictures.

* * said...

i don't remember the picture now as it's been a while ... i do remember the artist though ... penny parker ... her copyright symbol had been removed ...

there are several theme authors that do the same thing ... remove copyright symbols, watermarks, etc.

i showed linda proof one time of what a certain theme author had done, included numerous links and she told me to turn it all over to cs... her theme was pulled and as a result another theme author had his theme pulled ... at least he didn't remove the copyright symbol and gave credit to the original author ... he just neglected to provide proof that she had given him permission to use her work

i'll take a closer look at what all i have later and pull any that i think may be copyrighted ...

Patti ;-) said...

I definitely don't remove the copyright symbol.
I even have a couple where their url is on it for their website.
One of the wolf graphics I used a little while ago had the url on it in the corner.
It's only right that they stay.
And yes, the graphic was free to use so long as I didn't remove the symbol and the url.

* * said...

the ones i find on my own are free to use as well

i would imagine many of the ones they are finding are things that are mostly used for myspace ... they remove the offending codes and post away ...

* * said...

most of the goth/vamp items are WAY to dark for me to handle

Patti ;-) said...

I've grabbed some from those sites that has graphics for MySpace. But since the sites aren't owned by them, I felt no qualms about it. They just know they get more traffic to their site by including the name.
The odd one I found I couldn't 'save image as'.

Patti ;-) said...

I'm not really into goth myself. I don't mind vampire movies (Van Helsing was good, as well as some oldies) but not so much the vampire graphics.
Unless it's a graphic of Hugh Jackman in his Van Helsing outfit :D
lol

* * said...

me? i like ''angel'' ... david b????????
then there boris karloff, bela lagosi
the ones i snagged and posted where the only ones i could handle and didn't mind having

Patti ;-) said...

Ohhh yeah. He was a handsome one too.
Didn't get to watch that series very often :(

* * said...

me either :(
he has a new series now --- bones --- forget when it's on and where
VERY easy on the eyes --- decent person to boot

Patti ;-) said...

Ohhh I forgot about that one.
Saw it the once. dangggggggg

* * said...

problem is, there are so many programs i enjoy watching that i simply can't get to all of them ...

me thinks dave dove under the covers and his head is on a pillow ... either that or he's eating the halloween candy he didn't hand out :)

Patti ;-) said...

dangggggggggggg

He just disappeared without saying good bye
*sniff*
lol

Leigh Ann Cogz said...

hey, we're cool, even if you were referring to me. please don't let my presence here make anyone feel hindered in commenting.

i do try to be nice, since most people who don't think to use it are either new to the group or don't speak english very well. sometimes the frustration of repeating the same answers does take its toll though, so i might snip from time to time, but thankfully, people can't see my attitude through the monitor, so i can more often than not cover it well. ;)

the msn bunch really does have it harder than we do. where we had to worry only about ourselves, they have whole groups of people to worry about in their moves. and i learned in one thread on muds that when the manager of the group migrates, all previous posts go under the new group owner's name so that group members can't even edit posts they've written while at msn. that's got to be frustrating, and i wonder how multiply is going to correct that one.

Dave   . said...

no i didnt go anywhere, fell asleep right here in my chair,,dangit


i think they have a fix now for the post names changing Snow
some of their problems they are causing themselves, they want take the time to read an learn
so there is a lot of backtracking an reworking to be done - even re-migrating some groups