Her first video was this January past and over the months, she looks like she has gotten a lot more comfortable signing in video's. A few songs I watched has her smiling, an eye brow lift, a bit of twinkle in her eye lol.
I'm not fluent as she is, so has been a challenge at times keeping up with her. I've learned a few new ones watching the video's, which I pass on to Billy. Just a matter of keep on doing signs to remember them.
Of course, some signs in her songs are done for dramatic effect, depending on the song. For instance, in one, she signs 'dark' for night but it worked well with the song. Signing 'night' wouldn't have been the same lol
She has so many over there, it was hard to pick out just a few, but I present you with just a few .... for now. No guarantees I won't post more of her videos *wink* lol
If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot
Lady In Red by Chris DeBurgh
Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
Cool Change by Little River Band
10 comments:
In case anybody is wondering, these videos do have music and vocals to them .. by the singers they say is singing them ;-) It's not just dead air with Soph signing the song lol
wish I knew sign language. was going to learn it when I started working with people with learning disabilities, but got sacked before I got the chance :(
Soph does a good job signing along with the words if you wanted to pick up some Meirav. The deaf communities mostly don't do signs for words like a, to, and, etc. but they do exist.
There doesn't seem to be a web site that will teach you a lot of signs, but if I find one that will give you the basics, I'll post it. Otherwise, most want a membership fee or to buy a book/dvd/etc. :(
thanks Patti, it's not something I'm thinking of right now, not the sort of thing I'd learn just for fun, I'd need the motivation of knowing people who need to use Sign. at the time I was going to need it as one of the guys in our house couldn't speak, and I was looking forward to being able to communicate with him - he was a great guy, fab sense of humour, just not able to talk because of cerebral palsy.
You've met my son Billy ? lol
Is why I started to learn it. Billy hears fine. Just doesn't have the ability for speech. I'm not sure why they didn't think to introduce him to a voice output device way back when instead of trying to teach him sign, when that would limit his ability to communicate with others.
oh, is cp what your Billy has?
I didn't know about voice output devices, sounds like a much better approach, as most people out there can't sign.
Brian was great fun, but having breakfast with him was a challenge as he would gesture that he wanted you to pass him something and he'd say "b" (he could make single consonant sounds) and you'd have to try different options - bread? butter? this was years ago and I still find myself smiling when I think of him.
He was originally diagnosed with CP when he was 4 1/2, but years later, our doctor questioned if it might be Autism. So now, when an agency wants the doctor to fill out the paperwork and want a diagnosis, he puts down Cerebral Palsy (Austism?). Ever since he started doing that, doors started opening for him after experiencing so many frustrating years getting him the help he needed.
Yeah, that guessing game thing was always fun. Was so glad when we started learn to sign, and then Billy got into pic symbols, learned how to write some words and now has the voice output device he has that has a qwerty screen where he can just type out what he wants lol
that sounds great. it must be so frustrating to want to communicate and not be able to, I can't begin to imagine.
It was very frustrating for both of us for a while. He's trying to tell me something and I wasn't getting it. Now, we have several avenues to try and get it sorted out, so is much better. Unless he learns a new sign and doesn't know how to spell it. Well, he will write it but it isn't a word I had ever seen before lol. We eventually get it lol
Post a Comment