Billy is the type of kid that as hard as I try to keep a secret, he seems to know what it is anyways. He could also be outside playing, and without wearing a watch, if there is something on tv he wants to watch, he will come inside at just the right moment. Sometimes, it's really spooky the way he does that. Very intune with us and himself? The first couple times we tried to surprise him with something, when he was younger, his dad and I thought that maybe he had over heard us talking. So we started being careful of when we talked about some things. When he was outside playing or if he was bowling, we went outside to talk about 'it'. Whatever way it happened, he couldn't be within ear shot at all. He had to be totally elsewhere or we did.
I was never sure if he hoped for what he got for his birthday or for Christmas, or this 'thing' he possesses had something to do with it. But the odd time, he seemed to know. Even if you put a box inside another box to sort of disguise what it might be. He knew anyways.
Today was no different.
I never said a word about the parade I was going to take him to today. Not one word. I heard about it on the radio in the car the other day. Checked the towns website today to find what the parade route was while he was in the shower. About ten to one, all I said to him was "we're going to go out in the car shortly. Make sure you wear a sweater."
So what does he do ?
He signs Santa Claus. (the motion of a man running his hand down his beard)
geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz Before we even get out the door ? So not fair but I should have known he would 'know'.
Grab hot chocolate and off we go. Took a few minutes to find a parking spot as everybody else in the county had the same idea of going early and finding a parking spot. Lock up the car and we start walking to downtown Collingwood.
Was only there a couple minutes, sipping our hot chocolates, finally convincing Billy to put on his gloves and toque when his friend Paddy came up and signed 'hi'.
Cooool. Hi Paddy. And there's mom and dad right behind him. Billy bowls with Paddy Sunday afternoons (cancelled today because of the parade) and Paddy's dad always picks up Billy and drops him back off. And this family has had Billy over for dinners, parties, and sleep overs many times too.
We all moved off the corner Billy and I were standing on, hoping for a spot where the wind wouldn't whistle through us. No such luck though. Seems the wind was howling all the way down that street, leaving us nowhere else to go as that was the parade route. The bands and walkers in the parade were walking into the wind, so that must have been rough for them. It would have been a nice day, -1c low 30's F, if it wasn't for that wind. Instead, it felt a lot colder.
Paddy doesn't talk and wears hearing aids, so he and his parents are pretty fluent in sign language. Paddy's hands are flying as each float goes by, so I picked up a couple new signs. One being fire truck :D
The parade had been passing by with assorted trucks hauling trailers decorated with trees, fake snow and kids, local high school band, gymnasts etc etc .. you know how it goes. I did feel bad for the two bagpipe bands wearing their kilts. Bare legs and that wind? brrrrrr. And me being me (weird? lol), I had hoped they thought to put on warm shorts under their kilts at least. No leotards or anything for them. Hardy bunch of people you could say, when everybody else was bundled up in their snowsuits etc.
The parade had being going on for about forty minutes when Paddy's mom, Roseanne, asked if I thought Billy would like to go home with them, have dinner, stay over, and she'll take the two boys to the life skills program tomorrow as she is off work tomorrow.
Awwww that's real sweet of you. I don't have a change of clothes or anything for Billy with me. She says that's ok as Billy and Paddy are about the same height and size, if I was okay if Billy wore something of Paddy's.
So, after Santa finally went by at the fifty minute mark of the parade, I asked Billy what he thought of going with Paddy to his house .... big smile out of Billy ... sleep over ........ still smiling ... and Paddy's mom would take him to life skills tomorrow. The kid never quit smiling ! He might love his mom but .............. hahahahaha
Needless to say, I left the parade by myself, walked to where I parked the car and came home to an empty place after a couple quick stops.
Which I didn't mind in the least. It's awesome that Billy has Paddy for a friend. They get along so well. And Paddy's parents have truly taken Billy into their home and their hearts. Which I will always be very thankful for.
31 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful day!
awww... that's lovely, Patti. so great that he's got such a good friend. and hey, a bit of a break for you tonight? time to do your own thing?
It was a nice and wonderful surprise. Even if I had thought that Paddy and his parents might be there, I didn't expect to see them. And then offer to take him? Awwwwww. But my own thing? hmmmm Not sure what my own thing is at the moment. I'll have to get back to you on that Meirav lol
lol... write some poems? stuff your face with cookies?
Sounds like time you found out!
its good he has a friend like that, an better his friend has parents like that
enjoy the evening
since I hate to cook dinner just for myself, it just might end up being cookies hahaha
agrees ... hmmm, I'll think about it
now now - I want you to look after my friend Patti and make her a nice meal please!
I so agree Dave. Very good and definitely what the kid needs. I can't be the only adult in his life that takes an interest in him.
awwww Meirav. And I fired the maid just this morning so I'd have to do the dishes too .. no fun at all.
lol... I do totally sympathise. when jeremy goes away I get ready meals and zap them in the microwave. can't be bothered with cooking and washing the pans.
2 things i discovered from being 'home alone'
paper plates
microwave oven
I had dinner planned that I would make for the kid and myself, but I won't do it just for me. It can wait a day.
lol Dave. Plastic cutlery too?
I should throw leftovers in the freezer the odd time for such an occasion as this, instead of doing 'repeats' the next day so it doesn't go to waste lol
thanks for sharing, patti. :)
You're welcome PJ :)
or fingers, the original utensils
lol Dave ... very true but a little hot on the pinkies ?
fingers are the best utensil . . . people in india still dine that way today.
hmmmm I might have to invest in a good set of pinkies then. Paws get a little messy when I do that lol
much easier washing paws than washing cutlery :)
depends on where I walked first hahahaha
lol
:)
geezzz .. that's disgusting .. just hit me ... i walk then eat with my paws ? too late to worry about cleaning them up being easier than cutlery .. ewwwwwww
LOL about the paws.
what a wonderful day for both of you. enjoy the evening, and be good to yourself. : )
Thank you Leigh Ann. I hope you enjoy yours, and be good to yourself as well :)
guess that means i should go back to sleep then. *yawn*
awwwwwwwwww
What a heartwarming blog, Patti. I could almost see the huge grin on Billy's face at the parade and the adventure of a sleep-over. I hope you enjoyed that time for yourself. You have to pamper yourself every so often. Don't forget you!
awww Thanks Sue :)
Post a Comment