Okay, I know. Disappeared again. This time it wasn't so long though. A lot of stuff .. aka crap .. I had to sort out. No, I haven't got it all sorted out, but think I'm finally on the right path about it all.
I was driving myself crazy with the stress and frustration over that second job I had. How the bosses 'would not say what they mean and would not mean what they say'. Saying one thing, and then not backing it up with action. That bugs me more than anything. Do not tell me what a caring and compassionate company you are, then leave me feeling like you just kicked my son to the curb by your actions. I spent seven-and-a-half months part time, three-and-a-half months full time, a month-and-a-half back at part time, only to be kicked out mid-August when I chose my son over them. They just figured I would throw Billy into a group home as he was 'inconvenient' for me to work full time afternoons. I know, the idea was you have other full time drivers over the barrel, where they have to kiss your backside to keep their job. I refused to do that. They lied from the get-go and I said enough is enough.
Then I was trying to figure out what my purpose ... what was really the intention .. of joining a few websites. Blogger ... FB .. Multiply ... G+ ... WordPress. I was running around those sites feeling like a lost soul. Okay, there was a purpose to it all, but it sure wasn't clear to me at first. The blogging sites? It was hard to get it through my thick head that people would read them. If they chose to read whatever I put there. So old habits and training were getting in the way. I was afraid I would offend someone, inadvertently, by whatever I put there. So I just didn't. Well, barely anyways. The past continued to haunt me still. And one does not ditch almost five decades of training overnight either. So this isn't a lightbulb instantaneous moment here.
First there was the quote my friend Jeannie turned me onto a few months back, when it came to dealing with those turkeys at my second job.
Your actions speak so loudly, I cannot hear a word you say.
I liked it enough that I used it as a signature at the bottom of my emails in my 'biz' account, so those turkeys would see it as part of any emails I sent to them.
Then there was a beginning post (for me anyways) by a friend about being a procrastinator, which was right before being an introvert. Okay, I knew I procrastinated a bit too much at times. Is the way I am wired. But introvert? I had to find out more about it. Once I did the search on the web and read up a bit more about introverts vs extroverts, then it made a bit more sense to me. Could never figure out why I wasn't the party animal type .. why I wasn't the prolific blogger and being comfy as that .. why I wasn't the chatty Cathy type. Oh, I did realize that walking in to a room full of strangers would cause a mild anxiety attack, but never knew why I could be so different. Introvert huh? Okay, I understand things better now. Doubt I'll ever be an extrovert or do a great impersonation of one either, but I can make an attempt to get out of that box I stuck myself in though. haha
I came here to Multiply one night, a few weeks back, and started going through my old posts. Re-read a lot of them. Remembering the feeling I had doing certain ones .. how much I enjoyed doing those particular blogs. Figuring out why I walked away from the United Friends Challenge blogs. Why I would feel like my poetry was never 'good enough'. Just because of the way I do them? Yeah, that bothered me .. my style. I came back several times to read them. What was it about those blogs I enjoyed doing? What was it about those poems?
Got talking to Jeannie one night via her AOL/my AIM messenger. I forgot how the whole conversation got around to it, but I signed into Multiply here to copy and paste those particular blogs and my poetry into emails for her to read. And we talked about them. The 'aha' moment for me didn't happen that night though. I still had to figure it out.
Then I got an inkling of what was going on. Never mind I was afraid of offending anybody. I was afraid there would never be 'approval'. Approval? What? But I still didn't quite get it. Until I saw this quote on the web by accident one day ...
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than write for the public and have no self.
Cyril Connolly (1903-1974)
AHA !!!
That's what made those particular blogs and my poetry special. I didn't do them seeking approval from anybody for them. I didn't worry about offending anybody when I did them either. I was being my quirky self those times. Oh, I know, my quirkiness sneaks out from time to time elsewhere, but I was too hung up on writing for 'others' most of the time. The expectation they might get read. And not getting read was bumming me out badly. What would they think of what I wrote? I was too conscious of other people possibly reading my ramblings. I wasn't doing it for my self, for my own pleasure.
Baby steps. I signed in today and immediately went over to the Sidewalk Cafe. After chuckling over the two 'picture challenge' blogs there, I decided to bring the third one here, to this place. Humor is a good place to restart. Humor and music. And maybe a bit of rambling from time to time :D
29 comments:
I know how you feel. If I wrote with the feeling that I needed to please the public or meet with their approval my site would be blank, lol. You just have to write whatever you want for yourself, decide who you want to be able to see it, then let it fly. Looking back on it can be quite fun, or quite funny. If nothing else it can help you remember a mood you were in during any particular life event or your feelings about something specific happening in the world at the time. If you don't write for yourself you lose that.
yay for brave baby steps! I have struggled so much with the desire to please people, to get people's approval, but the truth is that if you're not being yourself, then the approval is worth nothing - if I pretend to be someone else, and people cheer and clap, who are they cheering and clapping for? It's scary, being yourself and risking rejection. But it's worth it because once in a while someone looks at the real you and likes the real you, and then you know you have a real friend.
You two are so right on. Took me a while to figure it out though.
It was drummed into me that I had to watch what I said and did as 'you don't want to offend anybody'. That resulted in me not opening my mouth .. not participating in conversations and such. People complained I was too quiet. Being reluctant to initiate conversations jumped over into this blogging atmosphere. I got a little more gabby as time went on, but I suffered for it. So it was a long trip down memory lane and figuring out the 'offend' and 'approval' things.
My favorite blogs were the ones I did for the United Friends Challenge where I let my quirky sense of humor show. Even if nobody else laughed, I did and still do when I read them.
Thanks Jeff and Meirav. Your words of wisdom mean a lot to me :)
Yikes, if I lived by that people would think I was mute!
You're welcome for the "wisdom", and if it helps any.....
This post seriously meets with my approval. Now where's those gold stars?
Believe me, people almost thought I was ! lol
Of course, then I heard what people thought of me .. standoffish, snobbish, etc. Was even accused of always being 'mad at the world' so people didn't want to talk to me .. afraid to come near me. What? Just because I was quiet ? Oooookay. lol
These aren't gold, but will they do Jeff ? ********** Ohhh, looks like I'm cursing and got censored, doesn't it? lol
dang I can't even quote you a gold star lol .. Kind of bad when you have to supply your own stars ?
which just proves the point: whatever you do, you can't please everyone anyway.
be yourself. there's people here who like you, ok? hey, if there's people in the world who manage to like even me, then come on...
For Jeff ..... lol
Oh, I'm working at getting to be myself Meirav. But as a kid, it was tough, as you didn't want to get in trouble with the parental unit either. Then I go marry someone the same way. Seemed I was always butting heads with someone over all that stuff. Mostly myself though.
And why wouldn't people like you Meirav ? You're a bit of alright, in my books.
and double that for me!
You're a bit of alright too Jeff :)
lol... you just make it easier for the rest of us to feel good about ourselves ;)
you're a sweetie... but I'm only nice to people on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3-5pm.
Let's see, it's Tuesday for me ... it's a few seconds before 10 p.m. ... think you're a little off there Meirav. You were just nice ;)
oh, dang, I keep getting the rules wrong...
I know, you would rather it didn't get out that you are actually nice ;)
What the...? You mean you're nice more than once per week??
Hmmmmm, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.
Wait, does the second time hurt? I'm not going to try it if it does.
Try it Jeff. You might like it :)
If you two haven't beat me to it, I'm going to say g'night. The rugrats await.
booooooo rugrats!
g'night
lol... Jeff, it always hurts...
g'night, Patti. I might even go to sleep soon too - it's nearly 4am.
It sounds like you're finding yourself. When I write poetry or a story, it is for me and I could care less if those who read it like my style. For me, it's an expression of self and I like to utilize all that is at my disposal when doing so. Why write just words if words, pictures, and music can be used to express feelings and attitudes? The pictures and music can be excellent indicators of where a writer is coming from. If I'm doing it for me, I should be able to do it the way I want to do it, damn the torpedoes.
Finding myself? I figured I was just starting to join the human race Cal lol
I so agree with that Jeff lol .. but they are a necessary evil to driving a school bus. Why the boss won't let me drive it without the kids is beyond me. lmao
I am very thankful that boss didn't take me off the books and gave me a full run when school started up again. Kept my seniority and kept my sanity too. Well, as much sanity as one can keep driving rugrats back and forth on a regular basis hahaha
Hi Patti ... so good to see you back again. This is such a positive blog from you. I'm in total agreement with the others here ... just be you and scribble whatever you want whenever you want and don't worry about others.
I'm glad you've left that awful company. They didn't deserve you!
I'll send you a new invite to the UFC page. Get writing!
Hi Sue ~ Thank you, and is good to be back. If I do a backwards step, give me a kick in my backside will you?
What I might have to do, until I get used to it, is forget you all exist for me to 'blog' haha just kidding
I've missed ohhh about 200 challenges Sue. Hope you don't expect me to 'catch up' :( haha
All Challenges are optional, as I'm sure you'll remember. However, you could tackle past Challenges during the 'Catch-up Challenge' week if the muse was inclined to be kind.
You are right though ... take your time and just tootle around writing anything for a while (whether you publish it here or not) and get yourself back into the swing of Multiply. Don't worry about others ... just write for you.
I was kidding Sue, about 'catching up' those 200 haha I did take a peek at what I had missed there. One or two of them looked interesting, so might try them for the catch-up challenge week.
Thanks Sue :)
Post a Comment