Monday, November 9, 2009

We're Moving! (well no, not me lol)

Multiply is moving their datacenter and hopefully the transition will go as smoothly and painless as possible :)

http://multiply.multiply.com/journal/item/423

Announcement by Peter (CEO) on the Staff Blog today ....

Although Multiply serves people from around the world, due to the way the internet works, all of our computers are physically located in a datacenter in New Jersey, USA, and have been for the last six years.  We're excited to announce that we're going to be bringing our operation down to Miami, closer to where our technical team is.  This should make things easier for us to manage, and also allow us to respond more quickly whenever there is a problem that requires our attention.  Importantly, this will also provide us more space to grow as more and more people continue to use Multiply; something that we're very grateful of.

Moving a datacenter the size of Multiply's is never an easy task, so there's a lot of work to do on our side.  Our goal for the move is to have as little impact to your user experience as possible.  So while I can't promise that you won't notice anything over the next few weeks, I can promise that our entire technical team is working overtime to make sure it's as little as possible.

So what does this mean to you? Over the next few weeks as we prepare for the move, the site might feel a little slow.  This is a temporary situation until we bring all of our hardware on-line in Miami.  Once we have it all up and running, Multiply will be faster than it's ever been before.  And that is something we're really excited about.

We'll keep you informed as we work through this move, and ask for your patience while we make Multiply better and better for you.


54 comments:

raj rajaniemi said...

Here we go, everything is promised to be more better, again!

** Sumax ** said...

Thanks for the heads up Patti ... let's hope this isn't a Y360 situation!

** Sumax ** said...

Thanks for the heads up Patti ... let's hope this doesn't turn into a re-run of the Y360 'improvement' fiasco!

** Sumax ** said...

Thanks for the heads up Patti ... let's hope this doesn't turn into a re-run of the 'Y360 improvement' fiasco!

Cal Jennings said...

Miami? They just want to be near the beaches! haha It'll be terrible during hurricane season.

Patti ;-) said...

foonasty (staff) wrote in the staff blog comment section ...

The facility we are moving to is located outside the 500 year flood plain and FEMA's evacuation zone. The new building is designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane, with 10 million pounds of roof ballast for resisting hurricane uplift. Our new data center has multiple redundant power vaults fed from multiple substations on a primary electric gird, backed by multiple 1.5MW Cummins diesel generators with 6 days worth of fuel with a contract for unlimited refills. Perhaps most reassuringly, our data center is directly across the street from NAP of the Americas, one of the largest telecommunications hubs in the world.

During Hurricane Wilma our facility was in continuous operation.

Every data center location brings with it some amount of risk, and we believe our new facility alleviates the risk posed by hurricanes and tropical storms while offering superior connectivity options and all the benefits of geographic proximity to our core technical staff.

Patti ;-) said...

foonasty also wrote

The data center is in downtown Miami; power lines are buried.

Patti ;-) said...

They're only moving their data center to Florida, from New Jersey, so it would be closer to where the Multiply Staff office is actually situated. Could be a great thing for us Sue :)

Patti ;-) said...

Might mean faster response times to some of the technical glitches and bugs we experience from time to time.

Cal Jennings said...

The phone lines aren't. They might have done better by moving to Dallas.

Patti ;-) said...

And how does the phone lines going down impact the Multiply members?

The Prez, customer service, etc., are all in Florida now. Moving their data center (where all our content is stored and passed through) is in New Jersey. I would think they really looked at the pro's and con's of moving it all south before deciding to move it.

Cal Jennings said...

If the lines go down, they won't be able to transmit during a hurricane.

Patti ;-) said...

?????

** Sumax ** said...

I hope so. I'm happy to wait and see. I'll be even happier if this turns out to be truly better for us users, with quicker downloading of Multiply pages and glitch-fixing response times. Believe me, Patti, I'll be one of the first to say thank you if this all works out without too many hitches.

Patti ;-) said...

Just remember Sue, that if there are any hitches while they make the move, it'll only be temporary. I'm excited that they're moving the data center. Always thought it was a bit odd that it was in New Jersey while Multiply staff was in Florida lol

Cal Jennings said...

Data flows through telephone lines. They might transmit by satellite, but in a hurricane, satellite dishes are even more in danger. In hurricanes, telephone poles often snap and power and phone lines break. That's why I was without a computer for so long when the rare hurricane hit here. In Florida, hurricanes hit almost every year.

Patti ;-) said...

But Cal ? If they're outside the normal range of where the hurricanes hit ? And not all of Florida gets hit with them. I had a friend that lived in Miami and never ever lost his internet connection during hurricane season.
My thinking is Multiply, Peter, staff, whoever would have really checked things out before making the decision to move it down there. Don't think they would do it on a whim or anything. It's too important to them to take chances.

Cal Jennings said...

Maybe they'll be lucky then. Hurricanes move through there pretty regularly. I have relatives there.

Meirav Berale said...

yes, I think that is the bottom line. these guys are not idiots and for peter, multiply is his baby, he would not take stupid risks with it.

Patti ;-) said...

Totally agree with you Meirav.

Meirav Berale said...

and I have to say, the way pez has been dealing with the photos glitch has just been amazing. first of all, it was him who brought it up on the staff blog thread - he didn't wait for people to start complaining, he said they've discovered a glitch and are working on it; then he came back with that shift-refresh thing, which seems to have worked for a lot of people; and then when I commented on that other thread at user support that one of my albums was still not back to normal, before I could say multiply I had a pm from pez asking for the url so that he could pass it on to the devs.

there just is no other place where I've seen this level of commitment and service. as someone said elsewhere, this place on a bad day is better than a lot of other places...

Patti ;-) said...

So much better here on a bad day than elsewhere... definitely. I'm waiting to see what else that 'dr' has to say, and I'm trying to be nice in that thread lol

That is awesome that Pez initiated the contact with you. Never ever would happen anywhere else, that's for sure.

I hate to do it, but I've been pointing people in the direction of that staff blog so maybe the dev's will see their glitch .. if they didn't want to use patience and see what happens in the next few days lol

Meirav Berale said...

I thought that was really good, that you were doing that. (and I took the liberty of copying your comment to another thread too...) since pez mentioned the glitch there, and told us what to try, it makes sense to send people there.

Patti ;-) said...

Copy away Meirav. Good of you to post it elsewhere too.
Yeah, I was thinking if that tip of his didn't work for them, then they could post it on that blog and get some attention,

Meirav Berale said...

well, there have been about a zillion different posts about this... when I saw amanda's post last night, first thing I did was go back to a post I'd seen at the newbie group and give the poor lass a link to amanda's post so she could see she wasn't alone. then when I came back online today I saw these threads had mushroomed, and you had gone round a whole load of them putting that comment about what pez said - you've been great! pat yourself on the back (or lick your paws or something...)

Patti ;-) said...

hahahaha ... think I'd rather have a treat *wags tail expectantly* lol

Cal Jennings said...

When you're paying for the service, that is expected.

Cal Jennings said...

Let me see. I'm a guy. If I had a choice to move my business to an area with beautiful beaches and hot chicks, what would I do? haha

Patti ;-) said...

Awww c'mon Cal. Are you saying that you have it better than me, not including unlimited storage, no ads, etc? If you and I had the same glitch, we'd both get excellent service from staff to help resolve our glitch.

Patti ;-) said...

Very true ... for the average male BUT we're talking Peter, CEO and owner of Multiply and I can't see him throwing away a website he put a lot of sweat, blood, and tears into just to get a cheap thrill on a beach.

Meirav Berale said...

doggy biscuit coming right up :)

Cal Jennings said...

Let's see... Beautiful, half-naked girls:



Or concern about a little outage during a hurricane...

Hmmmm... tough choice.

How many CEOs have you known?

Meirav Berale said...

first of all, the service Multiply provide is the same for paying users as it is for non-paying users. the $20 a year doesn't entitle me to better service, just to those perks that I was promised when I paid it, e.g. no ads, access to hi-res photos, etc.

second, what may be expected is not always what we get. here on Multiply we actually get good service. that's one of the big differences about this place.

Patti ;-) said...

chocolate chip flavored doggie biscuit ?? no matter ... *rank you reirav*

Patti ;-) said...

(and yes, I did delete the pics you posted Cal)

Meirav Berale said...

choc chip flavour, definitely :)

Cal Jennings said...

That's why I'm still paying here.

Cal Jennings said...

It was Jennifer Aniston for God's sake, Patti.

Patti ;-) said...

Don't much care who it was Cal. Sorry.

Patti ;-) said...

So Cal ? Are you saying that you continue to pay for Premium service because you get better service/priority over non-premium members ?

Patti ;-) said...

mmm mmm mmmm

*rank you reirav .. relicious*

Cal Jennings said...

I'm saying that if the service wasn't good, I wouldn't be paying Multiply. If someone's doing a good job, I don't mind paying to help. I've been with Multiply as long as I've been with Yahoo 360.

Here's something on Miami that might interest you:

http://knight.miami.edu/blogs/joe/tag/hurricane/

Cal Jennings said...

This may have made Dallas look more unattractive:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/04/03/fbi-seizes-servers-at-dallas-data-center/

Patti ;-) said...

The only thing I can say Cal, is that I will wait and see what happens when the hurricanes hit and see how well we fair in keeping busy with our Multiply sites during those times. I would be really surprised if we even lost a minute of time to a hurricane.

Patti ;-) said...

If you have some staff already in Florida, why would you move the data center to Dallas? Be about the same as leaving it in New Jersey. The idea behind the move was to serve us better and faster.

Cal Jennings said...

Sorry. I didn't know actresses in bathing suits were against your beliefs.

Patti ;-) said...

Don't even go there Cal. That's kind of a nasty thing to say, but I'll overlook it because we're supposed to be friends.

Meirav Berale said...

yes, I think that was the whole idea.

and btw, I do remember Multiply being out of action once for a bit because of a hurricane hitting New Jersey... (that's when I learned that the servers were in NJ) nowhere is totally safe.

Patti ;-) said...

They weren't down for long, if I remember correctly. I had forgotten that, but I don't imagine New Jersey would have been prepared for a hurricane like Florida would be lol

Meirav Berale said...

oh yes, it didn't last all that long, but people were moaning about not having a warning before shutdown... it was pretty hilarious

Patti ;-) said...

The hazards of being on Multiply instead of watching the news/weather reports ? hahahaha

Cal Jennings said...

The data center in Dallas is light years ahead of most places. Still, cost is a consideration. There are several reasons I wouldn't move a data center to a coastal area.

Number One: Hurricanes.

http://www.ireport.com/blogs/ireport-blog/2008/09/18/the-last-house-standing

Even if the building is "hurricane proof," the equipment inside is still not safe from a storm surge. The photo was from hurricane Ike and it was only a level 3 hurricane.

Number two: Salt air. The equipment corrodes quickly in an environment where there is salt air. Having lived in Texas City and having friends who lived in Galveston, I know a lot about this subject.

Number three: Theft. With the large influx of tourists, keeping hardware safe becomes more difficult. People come in from a wide range of places so the thieves may live thousands of miles away. If they break in and steal computers, hard drives, or other equipment, it may be near impossible to find them. That was a problem in the Galveston area.

I was a Coordinator in Region 19 of FidoNet back when we were developing telecommunications. FidoNet contained NASA computer officials, business computer officials, government computer officials, banking computer officials (you could include them in business, but their needs were much more high security than most since they were most likely to be targeted), and many others. Region 19 was the largest in the world. If we made a decision, it affected all of FidoNet. I'm not speaking of these things with lack of knowledge.

Cal Jennings said...

It wasn't nasty. I was being sincere.

Patti ;-) said...

My mistake then. But I still don't feel those pics belonged on this thread.