I had a lot of problems getting the code to work for the background. Had it up, but I had this big black bar across the top. ewwwwwwwwwwwwww Ok, must be in the wrong spot or something, but putting it elsewhere didn't show. I ended up putting in an older theme I saved, which worked, then compared the two theme codes. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok Fix, switch, and ............... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowls Took me so long just to get the background in there where I wanted it to be. I ended up jumping into MD and it was something PJ said in one of the threads and I tried it and voila !!! (had to remove an existing piece of code that worked before *shrugs*) 4 a.m. and I figured the rest could wait, even though I really really really hate doing that lol
Thank you Sue. Was definitely a time for a break from all the black (even though I'm more partial to black lol)
Think it took me a good hour and a half to get the background in there. Just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Read the themes I save in notepad from before that worked. Tried this. Tried that. Yep, by 4 a.m., was time to give my brain a rest hahahaha
The one code that I had to take out to make it work must not be in the old one I tried to see if it would work. I'll have to go look.
Now I have another thing that just doesn't want to change for me and I haven't a clue why not. It should. I'm missing something. Been a while since I redid my page. But I'll figure it out .. eventually lol
Ohhh I was just thinking 'I should know this' but it escapes me at the moment lol It's the font color on the home page ... where it might say Welcome Box, Blogs, Notes, etc .... I can't seem to get rid of the red color.
My reply boxes don't have the solid colour background like I said it should. But that is probably user error lol At least I hope so. But the people that I don't have a colour code assigned to or are just visitors are still red as well ... geeeeeeezzzzzzzzz
And yes, my code validates lol (thought I'd mention it before you asked lol)
that is odd. i don't see that red anywhere in your code. ??
i can say that your !important hack shouldn't have a space. you have this:
.cattitle a, .cattitle a:visited, .cattitle a:link, .cattitle a:hover { font-color: #EBECE4 ! important; < --- notice the space between the exclamation point and word important ...
but that still doesn't explain the red.
the validator really only looks for missing symbols {:;} or missing properties and values. unfortunately it doesn't tell you if a property or value is valid or not.
I might have had a code in there for red at one point, especially when it was all black, but since I've changed the background, I've been tweaking the colours and those ones just don't want to seem to change.
Got the fake opaque background to the reply boxes, put in the code to make the font an off white and well? I have the fake background show up (yep, user error on that one lol) but the font didn't change colour !! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowls
I had wondered about that space thing between the exclamation point and the word impact. One of my other codes has it that way and seemed to work (or else I just got lucky). Ok, I'll go change that and see if it helps any. But really, I shouldn't really have to use that hack though. Really, but when is desperate and nothing is working right ..................... lol
Ohhh it was just a jab at the help group. First thing they say (or used to when it first came out) is to validate your code as broken codes will throw a monkey wrench into how things work. lol. Gotta find that monkey and get his butt and his wrench outta my code !! hahahahaha
you're right though. you shouldn't need that hack for those colors to work.
i've got pretty good notes, though not nearly as extensive as yours. LOL maybe i should add them for each block. anyway if you ever want to peek at what i have to see if it can help, please feel free.
I know my CSS code is a mess and I've been meaning to clean it up a little.
I know I went nuts on one of my other themes. When I wanted the font a certain colour, say white, I went and changed ALL font colours white. And I mean everything. Which sort of made it a little hard to read the pop out boxes when you wanted to post something. It helps to read what it says in your welcome box pop out box hahahaha. So I try to not do that anymore.
I have that one link that would let you know what the various whatchamacallits are and while not perfect, it would help some. This time, the red on the home page said it was a cattitle and when I went there and change the colour code, it didn't *shrugs*.
One thing I did find in all that mess (and no, I don't get it lol) is when you view a blog of mine, the title would show up in grey right? (least it looked grey to me lol). So I applied the code to make it the offwhite that is all over the place now and guess what? Now I have a light blue instead !!! With red for the hover code. Thought I changed that my last time in, but it didn't change.
I might have to take the whole thing out and add the codes back in one at a time to figure out what I'm missing. And if it isn't user error (lol) (which would be nice lol)
But before I go through all that trouble (lol), I'll take a peek at yours first. Maybe something in yours will jump out at me :D Thank you Snow :)
Half of my codes are hit or miss on what exactly they do. Some I still have no clue on what they do. I leave 'em, change 'em when I change the others and hope for the best lol.
Ohhhh I love what you did with your logo menu thing. Very nice.
if you have h1 set to white, then yes, it would say Patti's Guestbook and Patti's Posts with Tag: in white. I think the View all Contacts and View All Groups pages use the same thing.
I signed into another browser with my test page and checking things one at a time there instead of screwing it up here lol.
At one point, I do need to have a shower and get dressed as I have to leave at 4. My van is down for the count, so I have to walk where I park my school bus, do the pre-trip on it, and have to pick up some special olympic athletes to take them to a baseball game tonight. The local baseball team (a couple down from the majors ... one was signed a couple years ago though) is sponsoring a Special Olympics Day, to help get the word out there that there are programs locally.
So I can't spend all day on this silly thing, but I'll do as much as I can. lol
Ohhh I'm not staying at the game. My husband has to be there to help set up stuff before the spectators start to roll in, so I said I would drive the bus and pick up the ones that want to go to the game and I'll drop them off at the gates, as long as he takes the bus and drops them back off afterwards. So I'm going to steal his car and go elsewhere lol.
Kind of a weird way to do it, but because he didn't/doesn't do a whole lot with our son, whereas Billy and I do so much, it's a way for those two to spend some time in each others company. And after 'hubby' and I had that talk a couple weeks ago, he's making the attempt. Took Billy to the stock car races last Saturday while mom stayed home and relaxed lol
Might meet up with a friend for a coffee. I don't do that often enough.
btw, don't know if this will help you any, but i added more notes and cleaned up my css a bit. rearranged a few things so that things that go together are more together. just tested search using CTRL F, and it's working fine and dandy. : )
Ok, I'll take a peek at your code in a couple minutes. I saved your other one in a file ........... snowburstscodeforcomparisonpurposesonly.txt hahahaha
I was working on putting things together, as groups, but some codes that seem to be important didn't change anything on the test page. You know, put the rail stuff in one at a time > preview after adding in each piece of code. And yet, they were part of the original CC-Andros Choose A Theme code. *shrugs* Wonder how safe it'll be if I take those ones back out lol
i found a lot of things in custom colors that did nothing when i took them out, so i left them out. maybe one day i'll finally find what i messed up. LOL but it's great for someone who has no clue what they're doing but want their own theme. that's where i was on day one, and i was so grateful for custom colors that i was able to have that.
btw, because my site is SO stinkin' specialized, there is going to be a lot of stuff that you won't need. that's one of the reasons i decided to make the notes a little more clear, like where i removed the itemboxes and stuff like that.
Oh I so agree with you about Custom Colors. It was the easiest one to get your feet wet with. Think I had picked Skyline as the very first one because of all the black it has (hahaha) but once I jumped into the help groups and they were saying Custom Colors yada yada yada, I went there and never looked back lol. I tried the others with my test page .. tweaking them and such and I ended up bugging Luiz a few times to help me. I'll never make a great theme author, that's for sure lol
Do believe that I'll take out what doesn't seem to be changing anything when I put them in. Help clean up my code a bit lol
Now that is just sooooooooooooooooo weird Snow. I put the code in for changing the title boxes .. exact same one ... and it shows up offwhite on the home page of my test page.
Now doesn't that just figure. I'm in MD learning something new today and I tried something, not expecting it to work at all, and it did ??? No idea what was diff from one code to the next for that to happen. geeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol
Ahhh but that code that worked did change the fonts on the home page from red to white. Just didn't touch the subject box on the other pages. lol Oh well, at least the home page is getting there
i'm telling you. that's just bizarre. i wish i was good at troubleshooting. i can explain what the problem was if someone else finds it, but i'm not good at finding the problem.
36 comments:
at first i was sitting here like what? then i peeked at your homepage and was like oh!.
you've been redecorating. looking good so far. can't find what's missing.
thats called a chaotic mess an those are fun sometimes,,lol
Thanks Snow. And it was sort of fun Dave lol
I had a lot of problems getting the code to work for the background.
Had it up, but I had this big black bar across the top.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
Ok, must be in the wrong spot or something, but putting it elsewhere didn't show.
I ended up putting in an older theme I saved, which worked, then compared the two theme codes.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok
Fix, switch, and ...............
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowls
Took me so long just to get the background in there where I wanted it to be.
I ended up jumping into MD and it was something PJ said in one of the threads and I tried it and voila !!!
(had to remove an existing piece of code that worked before *shrugs*)
4 a.m. and I figured the rest could wait, even though I really really really hate doing that lol
Hmmm! This all sounds very intriguing ... I'll have to go and take a look.
brb
I love the shade of blue you've chosen. I definitely prefer this. It's looking really good.
well, i can understand why you were ready to have a fork stuck in ya after all that.
Thank you Sue.
Was definitely a time for a break from all the black (even though I'm more partial to black lol)
Think it took me a good hour and a half to get the background in there. Just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
Read the themes I save in notepad from before that worked.
Tried this. Tried that.
Yep, by 4 a.m., was time to give my brain a rest hahahaha
a few of the old codes that were used either no longer work or are no longer needed
The one code that I had to take out to make it work must not be in the old one I tried to see if it would work.
I'll have to go look.
Now I have another thing that just doesn't want to change for me and I haven't a clue why not. It should.
I'm missing something. Been a while since I redid my page. But I'll figure it out .. eventually lol
you know you can ask, right? i don't give candy to strangers, but i'm happy to share with a friend.
Ohhh I was just thinking 'I should know this' but it escapes me at the moment lol
It's the font color on the home page ... where it might say Welcome Box, Blogs, Notes, etc .... I can't seem to get rid of the red color.
My reply boxes don't have the solid colour background like I said it should. But that is probably user error lol At least I hope so.
But the people that I don't have a colour code assigned to or are just visitors are still red as well ... geeeeeeezzzzzzzzz
And yes, my code validates lol (thought I'd mention it before you asked lol)
that is odd. i don't see that red anywhere in your code. ??
i can say that your !important hack shouldn't have a space. you have this:
.cattitle a, .cattitle a:visited, .cattitle a:link, .cattitle a:hover {
font-color: #EBECE4 ! important; < --- notice the space between the exclamation point and word important
...
but that still doesn't explain the red.
the validator really only looks for missing symbols {:;} or missing properties and values. unfortunately it doesn't tell you if a property or value is valid or not.
I might have had a code in there for red at one point, especially when it was all black, but since I've changed the background, I've been tweaking the colours and those ones just don't want to seem to change.
Got the fake opaque background to the reply boxes, put in the code to make the font an off white and well? I have the fake background show up (yep, user error on that one lol) but the font didn't change colour !! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowls
I had wondered about that space thing between the exclamation point and the word impact. One of my other codes has it that way and seemed to work (or else I just got lucky). Ok, I'll go change that and see if it helps any. But really, I shouldn't really have to use that hack though. Really, but when is desperate and nothing is working right ..................... lol
Ohhh it was just a jab at the help group. First thing they say (or used to when it first came out) is to validate your code as broken codes will throw a monkey wrench into how things work. lol. Gotta find that monkey and get his butt and his wrench outta my code !!
hahahahaha
hahahaha!
you're right though. you shouldn't need that hack for those colors to work.
i've got pretty good notes, though not nearly as extensive as yours. LOL maybe i should add them for each block. anyway if you ever want to peek at what i have to see if it can help, please feel free.
I know my CSS code is a mess and I've been meaning to clean it up a little.
I know I went nuts on one of my other themes. When I wanted the font a certain colour, say white, I went and changed ALL font colours white. And I mean everything. Which sort of made it a little hard to read the pop out boxes when you wanted to post something. It helps to read what it says in your welcome box pop out box hahahaha. So I try to not do that anymore.
I have that one link that would let you know what the various whatchamacallits are and while not perfect, it would help some. This time, the red on the home page said it was a cattitle and when I went there and change the colour code, it didn't *shrugs*.
One thing I did find in all that mess (and no, I don't get it lol) is when you view a blog of mine, the title would show up in grey right? (least it looked grey to me lol). So I applied the code to make it the offwhite that is all over the place now and guess what? Now I have a light blue instead !!! With red for the hover code. Thought I changed that my last time in, but it didn't change.
I might have to take the whole thing out and add the codes back in one at a time to figure out what I'm missing. And if it isn't user error (lol) (which would be nice lol)
But before I go through all that trouble (lol), I'll take a peek at yours first. Maybe something in yours will jump out at me :D
Thank you Snow :)
no problem. i noticed those blue titles. that didn't make sense to me either.
but you've inspired me to clarify my notes a bit, so i'm working on giving each section some more specific information.
I thought your notes were neat Snow. Very explanatory and I'm thinking as soon as I get things figured out here, I need to put more in lol
Half of my codes are hit or miss on what exactly they do. Some I still have no clue on what they do. I leave 'em, change 'em when I change the others and hope for the best lol.
Ohhhh I love what you did with your logo menu thing. Very nice.
Does it makes sense to have the guestbook page title say Guestbook in white while all the other titles on their pages show up in blue?
if you have h1 set to white, then yes, it would say Patti's Guestbook and Patti's Posts with Tag: in white. I think the View all Contacts and View All Groups pages use the same thing.
So the title 'For The Ladies' shouldn't be in blue ?
I signed into another browser with my test page and checking things one at a time there instead of screwing it up here lol.
At one point, I do need to have a shower and get dressed as I have to leave at 4. My van is down for the count, so I have to walk where I park my school bus, do the pre-trip on it, and have to pick up some special olympic athletes to take them to a baseball game tonight. The local baseball team (a couple down from the majors ... one was signed a couple years ago though) is sponsoring a Special Olympics Day, to help get the word out there that there are programs locally.
So I can't spend all day on this silly thing, but I'll do as much as I can. lol
that's cool. have fun at the game tonight. : )
Ohhh I'm not staying at the game. My husband has to be there to help set up stuff before the spectators start to roll in, so I said I would drive the bus and pick up the ones that want to go to the game and I'll drop them off at the gates, as long as he takes the bus and drops them back off afterwards. So I'm going to steal his car and go elsewhere lol.
Kind of a weird way to do it, but because he didn't/doesn't do a whole lot with our son, whereas Billy and I do so much, it's a way for those two to spend some time in each others company. And after 'hubby' and I had that talk a couple weeks ago, he's making the attempt. Took Billy to the stock car races last Saturday while mom stayed home and relaxed lol
Might meet up with a friend for a coffee. I don't do that often enough.
very nice. : )
btw, don't know if this will help you any, but i added more notes and cleaned up my css a bit. rearranged a few things so that things that go together are more together. just tested search using CTRL F, and it's working fine and dandy. : )
Ok, I'll take a peek at your code in a couple minutes.
I saved your other one in a file ........... snowburstscodeforcomparisonpurposesonly.txt
hahahaha
I was working on putting things together, as groups, but some codes that seem to be important didn't change anything on the test page.
You know, put the rail stuff in one at a time > preview after adding in each piece of code. And yet, they were part of the original CC-Andros Choose A Theme code. *shrugs* Wonder how safe it'll be if I take those ones back out lol
i found a lot of things in custom colors that did nothing when i took them out, so i left them out. maybe one day i'll finally find what i messed up. LOL but it's great for someone who has no clue what they're doing but want their own theme. that's where i was on day one, and i was so grateful for custom colors that i was able to have that.
btw, because my site is SO stinkin' specialized, there is going to be a lot of stuff that you won't need. that's one of the reasons i decided to make the notes a little more clear, like where i removed the itemboxes and stuff like that.
Oh I so agree with you about Custom Colors. It was the easiest one to get your feet wet with. Think I had picked Skyline as the very first one because of all the black it has (hahaha) but once I jumped into the help groups and they were saying Custom Colors yada yada yada, I went there and never looked back lol.
I tried the others with my test page .. tweaking them and such and I ended up bugging Luiz a few times to help me. I'll never make a great theme author, that's for sure lol
Do believe that I'll take out what doesn't seem to be changing anything when I put them in. Help clean up my code a bit lol
One thing I noticed is that the code has two div.contentwrappers (??) So I took one out lol
Now that is just sooooooooooooooooo weird Snow.
I put the code in for changing the title boxes .. exact same one ... and it shows up offwhite on the home page of my test page.
Yeah, I don't get it either lol
Only have, maybe half, of the code put in so far
http://allthingswild.multiply.com
If you look at the code, might seem a little weird. Trying to group things together lol
Now doesn't that just figure. I'm in MD learning something new today and I tried something, not expecting it to work at all, and it did ??? No idea what was diff from one code to the next for that to happen.
geeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz
lol
who is knowing the mind of a computer?
Ahhh but that code that worked did change the fonts on the home page from red to white.
Just didn't touch the subject box on the other pages. lol
Oh well, at least the home page is getting there
i'm telling you. that's just bizarre. i wish i was good at troubleshooting. i can explain what the problem was if someone else finds it, but i'm not good at finding the problem.
Apparently I'm not good at finding the problem either hahahaha
Post a Comment