THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BUT PROBABLY DON'T:
1 . Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.. (probably why it goes thru the washer so well)
2. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp (marijuana) paper. (and someone hasn't smoked it yet?)
3. The dot over the letter I is called a "tittle". (go figure, it's not a dot - looks like a dot to me)
4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top. (one very happy raisin?)
5. Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller. (this I knew but still cool)
6. 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals. (this blows me away)
7. 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled. (the editing staff needs edumacating in this area?)
8. The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor, who had red eyes. He was albino.
9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents, daily. (always thought I was the oddball in the family .. now I know why)
10. Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister. (cool also)
11. Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces will kill a small sized dog. (and no matter how much the guy begs, I'm not sharing! oh sorry, wrong dog hahaha)
12. Orcas (killer whales) kill sharks by torpedoing up into the shark's stomach from underneath, causing the shark to explode. (can you say messy?)
13. Most lipstick contains fish scales (eeww). (and people wonder why I don't wear the stuff .... ewwww is right)
14. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants. (not that he shows anything but his tail feathers hahaha)
15. Ketchup was sold in the 1830's as medicine. (with french fries as a chaser?)
16. Upper and lower case letters are named 'upper' and 'lower' because in the time when all original print had to be set in individual letters, the 'upper case' letters were stored in the case on top of the case that stored the smaller, 'lower case' letters. (would put a new twist on printing and typing if it had been reversed)
17. Leonardo DA Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time (hence, multi-tasking was invented.)
18. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood. (hmmm termite food?)
19. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos. (nobody would hear the cuckoo anyways)
20. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan; there was never a recorded Wendy before! (so who was the girl that got away then?)
21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver! (not that would mean anything or make sense anyways ... I mean seriously, what's a lurple?)
22. Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors. Also, it took him 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips. (it was the fish scales that made her run off - no color inspiration for him)
23. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death. (I know what you're thinking, and I"ll tell ya right now it won't work with me hahaha)
24. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was a Captain Kirk's mask painted white. (I knew Kirk scared me for a reason)
25. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19 You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar (good to know.)
26. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand (and you thought this list was completely useless.)
27. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. (was legal to abuse the poor woman? - and men wonder why the feminist movement happened)
28. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was the Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola. (hmmmm gotta watch the bumps on the road)
29. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. It's the same with apples! (oh yeah? bring on the peanut butter!!! hahaha)
30. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying! ( I know another way to keep me from crying ... don't go near the onions)
31. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.. (shalom)
32. Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries. (awww the book itself has a record)
33. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a space suit damages it. (besides, be nasty when they got back home and stripped - I know, groan all ya want haha)
34. George Carlin said it best about Martha Stewart .. "Boy, I feel a lot safer now that she's behind bars. O. J. Simpson and Kobe Bryant are still walking around; Osama Bin Laden too, but they take the ONE woman in America willing to cook, clean, and work in the yard, and they haul her fanny off to jail." (with that logic, I can't argue with George)
I know, heck of a way to make an appearance isn't it?? lol
*waves foolishly at everyone*
16 comments:
Very nice, I really enjoyed this.
Thank you lady :)
fascinated by the upper case and lower case story!!!
mind you, that Motorola story sounds a tad fishy... wonder how many of these really are true...
Wiki doesn't say anything about a turn table for the car, but it does mention that Motorola is a combination of motor and Victrola though lol. Says their first product was a battery eliminator for radios, so I don't know if that one is true, but I do know a few are. Heard them before pre-net/email.
hadn't thought of looking it up in wiki - I didn't realise they'd been going since 1928! I take it back... the smell of fish may have just been the penguin's dinner :-)
would have made the penguin happy I bet ! hahahaha
I knew they had been around a while (our first cell phone was in a small suitcase by them lol) but I hadn't realized they'd been around that long either
Interesting tidbits. I didn't know that about the relations of the actors.
LMAO at the George Carlin joke! :D
Interesting tidbits. I didn't know that about the relations of the actors.
LMAO at the George Carlin joke! :D
Hi Patti ... good to see you putting up more entertaining information for us again.
*Waves foolishly back*
Heyyyyy Sue :D
Great to see you. Thanks for popping by my foolishness lol
LOL yes, great way to make an appearance. welcome back for as long as you can stay. : )
Thank you Snow :D
Going to try to find at least a half hour each day to pop in here. Which means the groups will suffer some but that's ok. If I get more time, then I'll peruse them.
4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top. (one very happy raisin?)
even if that raisin is dropped from an airplane 10,000 feet up ?
6. 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals. (this blows me away)
and 59% goes into marketing ?
7. 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled. (the editing staff needs edumacating in this area?)
either that or 'needs castigating'.
8. The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor, who had red eyes. He was albino.
awesome . . . who woulda' known ? ftr . . . seven-up is one of my fav's . . . you do the math.
14. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants. (not that he shows anything but his tail feathers hahaha)
you cracked me up with this, patti.
26. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand (and you thought this list was completely useless.)
for some reason . . . i had envisioned you proffering a slightly different annotation.
on serious note . . . thanks for sharing.
Very interesting Patti. Would you mind I repost it with credit to you?
That would be ok with me Moimoii :)
Post a Comment