GLOUCESTER, Mass. - The girls showed up repeatedly at the high school health clinic, asking for pregnancy tests. But their reactions to the test results were puzzling: high-fives if they were expecting, long faces if they weren't.
School officials in this hard-luck New England fishing town say an alarming 17 girls - four times the usual number - became pregnant this year. And even more disturbing: Some of the girls may have made a pact to have babies and raise them together.
"A typical girl you would think would say, 'Oh my God! What am I going to do now? How am I going to support this baby? How am I going to finish school?"' Supt. Christopher Farmer said. "These young women clearly have not seen that."
The story exploded after Joseph Sullivan, the principal of Gloucester High School, was quoted by Time magazine this week as saying the girls confessed to making such a pact. Sullivan was on vacation Friday and did not return calls for comment.
The superintendent said he had no independent confirmation of a pact. But he added: "What we do know is there was a group of students being tested for pregnancy on a regular basis, which would suggest they were not taking steps to avoid becoming pregnant, and that when some of them had their babies, they appeared to be very pleased."
None of the girls or their families have come forward to confirm any type of pact, and school and health officials have not identified any of the youngsters.
The girls are all 16 or under, nearly all of them sophomores. The superintendent said they have been reluctant to identify the fathers, many of whom are older. But one of them "is a 24-year-old homeless guy," the principal was quoted as telling Time.
City and school officials in this town of about 30,000 people 50 kilometres north of Boston have been struggling for months to explain and deal with the pregnancies, where on average only four girls a year at the 1,200-student high school become pregnant.
Just last month, two officials at the high school health centre resigned to protest the local hospital's refusal to support a proposal to distribute contraceptives to youngsters at the school without parental consent. The hospital controls the clinic's funding.
Mayor Carolyn Kirk said Friday there are many contributing factors to what she called a "blip" in the pregnancy rate, from glamorization of teen pregnancy in pop culture to cuts in funding that have reduced teachers and health classes in Gloucester.
"We have fallen on hard times," Kirk said of her city, which has suffered in recent decades with the decline in the fishing industry that has defined Gloucester since the colonial era.
Gloucester is the town that lost six fishermen in the 1991 shipwreck that inspired the book and movie "The Perfect Storm." Its high school teams are known as the Fighting Fishermen.
Student Council member Emily Spreer said many of the girls came from difficult socioeconomic circumstances: "Their circle or clique, they're not the most fortunate family-wise."
"If you're a young person who really is struggling to find an identity for herself, absent the support and the guidance, it can become almost a default option for some to become a mom," said Patricia Quinn, executive director of the Massachusetts Alliance on Teen Pregnancy. "We need to do more for young people and show them more paths."
Gloucester - a heavily Roman Catholic town with a large Italian and Portuguese population - has long been supportive of teen mothers. The high school has a day care centre for students and employees.
Christen Callahan, a former Gloucester High student who had a child when she was 15, said on NBC's "Today" show that some of the girls would ask her about her own pregnancy. "They would say stuff like, 'Oh, I think my parents would be fine with it and they would help me,' stuff like that," Callahan said.
Sarah Brown, chief executive of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, suggested some of the blame lies with the country's Hollywood-obsessed culture, in which stories about pregnant celebrities abound.
Just this week, 17-year-old TV star Jamie Lynn Spears, the unmarried sister of Britney Spears, gave birth. "Juno," a wry comedy about a 16-year-old girl who gets pregnant, was one of the most acclaimed movies of the year.
"Baby bumps get written about the same way designer handbags do. It's just one more lifestyle choice, just another personal expression: these shoes, this bump and that handbag," Brown said. "It's not surprising that teenage girls can get confused or even seduced by the allure of celebrity pregnancy."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`Ok. The reason I posted this blog about this 'pact' is because of a recent thread on my page. I had posted a quote and a bit of a discussion occurred between myself, a friend, and a friend of a friend. In this thread, the friend of a friend mentioned this pact in one of his replies. I hadn't heard about this pact when he mentioned it, so I could not comment on it. I mean, how can I possibly comment on something I had no knowledge of?
It showed up on my Yahoo! Canada home page today, so I read the above news story about it.
I cannot agree with this persons take on this 'pregnancy pact' totally. According to the above story, there are extenuating circumstances that goes along with it. I will say that this is the wrong way for these girls to go about all this, but if this is what they felt was the only path offered to them due to "difficult socioeconomic circumstances" without the proper support and guidance they desperately needed, who am I to say that what they have done is a shameful act? That this is a reflection upon a society of bleeding hearts that took the shame away from teenage pregnancies? How many of these girls lost their fathers in 1991, that was highlighted in the movie The Perfect Storm with George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, leaving all-of-a-sudden single mothers to raise them the best they could with what they had at hand?
Add to that the media's feeding frenzy when it comes to who is pregnant lately. Angelina Jolie, Jamie Lyn Spears to name two. Every time you turn around, there is a front page story, complete with pictures about these pregnancies. The media tends to glamortize pregnancies amongst the rich, the famous, the notorious. The rag mags blaring it on the front cover at the check out stands who is pregnant, who is divorcing, etc etc, with no thought to truth or community awareness. Is whatever sells.
Canada may be behind the times in some ways, but some schools are offering condom machines in the washrooms. They have accepted that teenagers WILL have sex. They offer the education as well, but the kids will make up their own minds if they are ready and willing. And what better way to give them a fighting chance at their future by helping them not get pregnant too soon? Is all about educating them about the consequences.
But considering the whole story to these girls at this high school getting pregnant, I cannot say I am ashamed. I am saddened that these girls felt this was their only option in their lives.
16 comments:
I saw the headlines about this story and had to move on to something else...I simply could not read it. You need to realize something...I was 21 when I gave birth to a daughter out of wedlock (she was given up for adoption). Why these girls did this is beyond me...they have no idea the hell they are going to face.
I admit I didn't read your entire blog...I simply couldn't. This news brought back far too many painful memories.
Awwww I am sorry Mz Meow. I didn't know and would never purposely cause you pain.
You had no way of knowing as it's not something I talk about much.
So "difficult socioeconomic circumstances" led these girls to believe that getting pregnant was the only path open to them? No wonder children today feel that anything goes when "society" makes such excuses for them.
In the UK the so called bleeding heart brigade sought to eliminate any child ever being called a bastard again. Their motives were good, but what they eventually ended up doing was creating a sink estate society of feral children. This is roughly how they went about this task. First, they took away the stigma of illigitimacy by making it socially acceptable for single mothers, then they made sure that any pregnant girl over the age of 16 automatically went to the head of the social housing programme. When they got their home, they were given new fridges, washing machines, furniture, bedding and social funding to help with the first year of the baby's 'expenses' such as diapers, buggies, etc. No other member of society was given this sort of financial help ... including the homeless. The homeless had to accept second-hand furniture and they did not get washing machines or fridges.
Before long, every friend of these girls who got a home of their own (with generous financial aid thrown in) were looking to become pregnant too, so that they could become free of the shackles of parental strictures on what time they had to be home. What had hitherto been a social no-no suddenly became OK among young girls.
These girls were all housed close to each other, so that whole estates of single mothers were growing in some areas ... and a lot of these mothers were allowing their children to run wild. Without a permanent male role model, the children quickly learned how to manipulate their mothers.
Today, here in Britain, we are reaping the rewards of allowing these sink estates to come into existence. A lot of these areas are no-go areas of criminality and the kids have an anger against society that is so ingrained it is hard to see them ever becoming intergrated into the mainstream of a work ethic. Of course, not all single mothers have raised children such as these, but there are far too many to ignore.
So ... from a few children having hurt feelings at being called a bastard we have evolved into a society of accepted single parenthood where the children are deprived of father figures and where, for the most part, they are pretty much running wild within their own communities and they are VERY angry youngsters with a grudge against society.
A very few children being called a bastard, or thousands of feral children running wild and making everyones life a misery, and then growing up to become petty criminals ... I know which I prefer.
No child whether illegitimate or not should NEVER be called a bastard. They are a child pure and simple. Nothing was handed to me but verbal, mental and emotional abuse by my so-called loving family as well as the church I used to belong to.
Help the girls and children yes, but never, ever do what England did or what many places here in the States have done. Make them get their education, and work for what they get.
Words from a woman who is much older and wiser and wishes she could undo the past.
I do agree with catsmeow Sue, in that I'm not comfortable with any child being called a bastard, for whatever reason. And in the case of children born to single mothers, that is not the fault of the child and I don't feel it is fair to label them as such. It is a demeaning word, whatever it is used for.
There is a right way and a wrong way to go about this situation. Obviously some do go about it the wrong way, as they have in the UK. I don't have a problem with giving them a helping hand to a certain point, but there is such a thing as going too far.
I hadn't thought I was making an excuse about this pregnancy pact in this situation. What I had wanted to get across was educating these young teens of what life would be like for them, and their babies, if they went through with this. And apparently, some have already had their babies. I was also posting this in reaction to a thread of mine that mentioned this pact. But where were the educators, the parents, the community that allowed this to happen? And I do say allow as the signs had to have been there long before this pact came about. The article says about 4 a year in a school population of only 1200 usually. IMHO, they should have been working on the kids to lessen that number through education. But even with education, things do happen and babies are born. There are also very responsible women out there, very educated, and this will happen to them as well. It's one of life's quirks.
But I do wonder, that the thought of single mothers and the stigma that is attached to their children would reach out to women of all ages or just to the young only? And illegitimate is a much nicer than bastard, so the bleeding hearts in the UK could have just renamed the situation instead of going through all that, by creating hard feelings and pitting the citizens against each other sort of thing.
In the province I live in, Ontario, we have people on Welfare/Mothers' Allowance. When it came to a single parent or couple that couldn't find work or couldn't work or had under-school aged children, they could collect money while raising their kids. But people were taking advantage of it. People that could go out and work chose not to. Some figured it was easy money and collected while they worked (until they got caught). So what the provincial government decided a few years ago was to make anybody that was collecting Welfare go out and work. Even volunteer work to help learn a skill. But there was going to be no more free rides unless it was a very legitimate need. But the idea was for people to get their self worth back and get off the system, rather than kids growing up thinking they could live off the system because their parents did, and so on down the line. And that is the type of situation that the bleeding hearts in the UK should have looked into. Maybe help, but no free rides. Earn what you get.
You weren't making an excuse, simply putting out the facts.
I'm sorry ... I didn't mean for you to think I was having a go at you ... or that it was YOU who was making excuses. I was talking about society as a whole. And I do agree with you, calling a child a bastard is a terrible thing. I wasn't advocating it ... just comparing one ill with another.
I agree with the above (quoted from the body of your reply). We in the UK have got to do something like this. Otherwise, you are right, the kids pick up on the free-ride given to the parents and the culture of something for nothing just carries on down the generations.
Awww I know you better than that Sue, so I will say 'yes and no' you might have been having a go at me lol. And I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you right back either.
It was just that whole 'judge and condemn' thread from the day before that really got my dander up about some things. It was a quote from Bob Marley that I posted and a guy posted scriptures, really making it sound like I was wrong in not judging and condemning people etc. And I had truly felt he had judged me and condemned me too. Really burned my butt hahaha.
We're cool Sue. *hugsss*
Thank you Mz Meow, as well.
*hugsss*
You're more than welcome.
Yeah, obviously I haven't made it to bed as yet...
Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that hahaha.
But I am definitely headed there or I will sleep in too long, and that isn't good, or I won't sleep tomorrow night when I should be.
Good night Mz Meow.
Have a great day Sue. (if you happen to come back and see this lol)
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Massachusetts Fishing Town Reels from News..."
Get it?! Massachusetts fishing town REELS? FISHING town REELS?!?!
God, the media know how to find a good story!
roflmbo @ omizu
you nut (and I meant that in the nicest possible way haha)
wow giving high fives if they are pregnant..obviously they have no clue what it takes to take care of a baby..
Must be something in the water..(wink)
Post a Comment